Go Bottom

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-03          72972

I have a friend with what sounds to me like a stuck clutch on his 424. He almost drove the tractor into his pond when the clutch would not release while he was brush hogging. (i.e. the tractor just kept driving on even though he had depressed the clutch and hit the brakes) They were in the process of taking the tractor to a mechanic to have it repaired. I have read where starting the tractor with the clutch depressed and chained to a tree or holding it with the brakes can sometimes if you are very lucky, break the clutch loose. I am not familiar with the 424 and I have not looked at his tractor yet either. Is the clutch pressure plate bolts or clutch assemble accessible without splitting the tractor? I was thinking of possibly backing out the pressure plate bolts some to release some pressure and may trying to tap a really thin putty knife or similar tool in between the clutch and pressure plate if the above method does not work. Any of you have this problem before? If so, what did you do to fix it. Splitting the tractor is the last resort but sometimes that just has to be done. Any suggestions, comments, or ideas very welcome. They need to get the tractor running as they use it to maintain their dirt driveway.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-03          72979

Chief It sounds more like a pin dropped out of the clutch linkage. Reason: He had been using it, He started it, He got it in gear and he was using the pto.

Usually a stuck clutch is a result of things sitting and rusting.

I'd start with linkages then free travel, adjust as necessary. ....

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-03          72983

That is a two stage clutch set-up. My initial thoughts are is that the bush-hog pushed it into the pond as the second stage didn't release the pto. ....

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
JParker

2004-01-03          72998

Didn't I read about something called an over-running clutch that addresses this specific problem on older tractors. Is this an older design?

I saw it in post #58341 by TomG (6-26-03)

I'll try to link. ....

Link:   Post # 58341

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-03          73002

Don't read more into then there is. If the PTO clutch does fail this could happen. Is it the same outfit as on a 8N ford, no. This system is still being used in tractors being built today. ....

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-04          73020

I thought about the over-running clutch thing when I first read the post but it sort of sounds like the clutch wouldn't work after the tractor was shut down. Most newer tractors with TX driven pto's have an internal over-running clutch but there was a recent discussion here where an internal overrunning clutch failed. There are all sorts of possibilities.

I wonder if the pedal has a feeling of free-play and then tension as the pressure plate is compressed? If it's all free play then the linkage or throw-out bearing fork likely is the problem. If the tractor has a removable splash pan then the clutch can be seen mad maybe the problem too. People do use this type of access and large screwdrivers for breaking frozen clutch disks loose, but I'm with Harvey. If it was working then it's unlikely to be a rusted clutch disk. ....

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-04          73061

I went and took a look at the tractor today. He was not there so I did not do much more than checking it over. The clutch pedal has about 1.75 - 2 " of free play before hitting the 1st stage of the clutch. Another 1.75 - 2" more and I can feel the 2nd stage. There does not feel like any think is binding. I am going to try to meet him and talk to him about it the middle of this week. The tractor looks like it has potential and is not in bad shape.

424 with a stuck clutch

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-05          73081

I haven't noticed change in tension when my second stage starts to compress but then maybe I just haven't noticed. My thought for a simple fix is that 2" of free play sounds excessive for many tractors. Maybe there's just too much free-play and the clutch isn't releasing.

If that isn't the answer, I'd hesitate to pull start it, chain it to something etc. unless I was certain that the problem was a rusted clutch disk. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login