Go Bottom

mud management advice needed horses

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-19          106467

I moved horses onto my property last fall. This winter has been nothing but rain, so the ground is saturated. The horses winter sacrifice paddock is one big mudhole.

I've heard of "drainage tile" being installed in muddy areas. How can I find out more how to do this?

I also saw a way to drain wet planted fields using a machine that cut really deep grooves into the soil in lines about 15" apart (theory being it got the rainwater down into the soil faster). Could this be used for a horse area?

The soil type here is rich-but-mucky topsoil over heavy clay. Sand should help drainage, right? If I added it, how deep should it be mixed in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-20          106477

funchy; Yes farm field drainage tile are commonly used in our aeria to take away excess water. Long as you have a creek or ditch low enough for the outlet tube a tiling contractor can likely help you out. Depending on the type of soil they are usually about 3-4 ft. deep spaced in paralell lines from 50 to 80 ft. apart. Check with your county extension office, they'll help you finding the people you need. Frank. ....

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-20          106507

Sand will not help your drainage at any rate that would be useful for you life. In order for sand to help drainage, it must be added at such a high concentration that each sand grain touches others and the remaining topsoil cannot fill all the voids created by the sand touching. This concentration is huge and not realistic. think of it as dropping marbles in a glass of water. Until there is not enough water to cover the marbles, no more pore space is created to aid drainage. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-27          106938

I do this a lot for people in your situation. Around here we can usually drain to a creek. No creek--no problem. Easiest and cheapest way: Decide where to dig a big, deep hole---say, 10 feet across and about as deep. Like spokes on a wheel and the hole as a hub, trench outward as far as necessary and about 18" below ground at the farthest point from the center. At the hole go down as far as necessary to get the trench to pitch down to the center hub. Install 4" perforated drain "tile" in the trneches and cover with crushed stone or gravel to about 6-8" below ground (the less earth over the crushed stone the quicker it will drain. Fill the big hole with crushed stone to about the same level as the trench (this is called a "dry well") Backfill everything. Trenching can be done by renting a 4" chain-type trencher from Home Depot or a have local do it, or even a backhoe with an 8" wide bucket.
A variation of the covered-over dry well is drop a 6" perforated pipe horizontally in the hole before you backfill with stone. In periods of really wet weather you can drop a submersible pump down there and suck out water to increase storage capacity, sort of like a drinking water well. ....

View my Photos
tw-20ford

2005-06-02          111879

Tiles will get get rid of water but not mud. if you put a tile in let the mud dry. if that don't work get some concrete clumps or lay there and let it dry. then next time it rains it'll hold the soil together. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login