Go Bottom

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
limpincoyote
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-16          109917

I recently had a large pond built (surface about 2.5 acres) and am having a problem with moss/algae growing in it. The bottom has a great deal of sand, so the water is pretty clear and the moss is out of control. Has anyone had experience in moss or algae control in large ponds?

Need some advise.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
denwood

2005-04-16          109934

There are many things to consider here, nutrient load, runoff entering, etc. One thing to consider for a recent pond is the balancing of the ecosystem. Greens are the bottom of the food chain and a new pond has no consumer base at first. I added crayfish, tadpoles, frogs, fish, minnows and goldfish and the growth I had dissapeared within a year. For a pond that size, you need quite a few consumers. ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-17          109972

First I have no direct experience, so don't mistake anything I say for knowledge. However, denwood's ideas make good sense to me and he's had success, so there ya go... Finally, I was at a conference recently and some of the Cooperative Extension folks are recommending barly straw "wattles". You might contact your local CE and see if they support this idea and could give you some tips for your particular situation. Good luck! ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
limpincoyote

2005-04-19          110107

Thanks for the notes. I've added minnows, Bluegill, and Channel Catfish so far and will add Florida Bass in June. Already have lots of frogs. Maybe once the fish grow a bit they will take care of the problem. Looking forward to fishing in about a year. ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
WVTC33
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-21          110177

Just my 2 cents worth but I would not add crayfish. They dug holes along my drain pipe in the clay dam, fought them for 2 years and many leaks. Had to remove the pipe, install a large rubber sheet with the drain through the middle, then repack dam. It looks like my neighbor is going to have to completely drain his pond remove and replace the dam, plus install a heavy liner to keep the critters from boring holrs through his again. Very distructive little things. They were already in the drainages that we built our ponds in.
The one thing that might help you is that I am sure your pond dam is thicker than either of ours, we are only holding back around 1/2 acre of water. If your problem continues, there is a dark blue dye on the market that is farm animal safe, cuts down on the amount of light that reaches the bottom of your pond reducing the growth.
There are also aquacides that are supposed to be fish and animal safe but they are expensive.
Another option is grass carp. In WV you need a permit from the state to purchase them, they are supposed to be sterile so they can't reproduce. Several friends have used them quite successfully.
Good luck and good fishin.
Gerald C ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
orangefwd

2005-09-15          116465

I have a 1 acre lake which was built 15 years ago and have been battling algae and duckweed ever since. About a year ago we got permits (PA) for white amur (grass carp) and they have grown substantially but have not taken care of the problem. However, they are reputed to do so, and it might just take a few years. We have also had a professional pond manager in who recommended a product called Sonar AS. This herbacide was suppesed to take care of the problem, but despite its high cost (~$600/quart), it does not seem to have worked either. Taking care of small pond farms is very difficult. I am going to try a fountain next year to create more water movement. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor and if you find an effective solution, please let everyone know. ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-15          116466

Get with your local agricultural extension agent and NRCS representative. They can give you a range of ideas and possibly some cost share assistance in some cases. Have you tried adding copper sulfate to the pond water yet? ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
BillBass

2005-09-16          116479

Everything you wanted to know about ponds.
Just copy and paste into the address line. I could not make them all active links.

http://ext.vt.edu/pubs/fisheries/420-011/420-011.html
http://h20.enr.state.nc.us/ncwetlands/pcn.html

http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/Subjects/farmponds/ponds.html
http://agpublications.tamu.edu/pubs/efish/srac.html

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/contacts/wake.htm
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/aquacult/catfish.html

http://www.pondboss.com/

Oops! A lot of those were out of date so I deleted them.

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-16          116481

We have a 1 acre pond with Bluegill and Crappy. I treat it twice a year with an algeacide from the local farm store. It is safe for livestock and fish, and is used by the Michigan DEQ in their fish hatcheries. I can't remeber the name off the top of my head, but if you are interested, I'll get it for you. 2 - 1 gallon treatments keeps the pond clear all year round. Without the treatment, it gets to be a mess pretty quickly. ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
Gypsy

2005-09-26          116923

For years, We threw in bales of hay round the pond, "sucked" up the algae, for lack of better words and kept everything pretty well clean, hope it works for Yah.

Gypsy ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-26          116927

And keep the water moving. A fountain or waterfeature that moves the water is a must. ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
horse_with_no_name

2005-09-26          116977

try copper sulfate granules. ....

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
Jerome

2005-10-13          117824

I have a neighbor who has about a 1 acre pond that is perpetually clear. I asked him at a sale once how he kept his pond clear, he responded it was a secret but then laughed and said I use a product called aquashade available at the local farm center. The pond holds good fish and the product was reported as being non-toxic.

Pond Moss algae control

View my Photos
fouracres

2005-11-16          119404

We have a +3/4 acre 10' deep pond with trout and bass, frogs, snakes. We have always used the pond dyes (True Blue lake and pond dye, Loch Ness black pond dye, etc.) and our algae/pond moss problem is under control. Some are more expensive than others but they all work. We use enough for 6 acre feet.

It's kind of fun watching a flock of 30 geese landing and throwing up blue rooster tails of water. Up to 150 geese/ducks a day in summer and they and the fish don't seems to mind the tinted water.

Wish it also controlled the herons and musk rats...

Just google "pond dye".

Bill ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login