Go Bottom

Grease removal with pressure washer

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-18          110009

I just bought a pressure washer--cold water only, 2,850 PSI and 2 GPM--primarily to remove caked grease around lubrication points on my tractor and back hoe. I used Campbell-Hausfield grease cutting detergent and was very disappointed with the result. Basically it merely splattered the grease on other parts of the tractor. I have a bad feeling that this application is just not doable with a cold water pressure washer and I probably can't return it. Any tips on how I can make this work?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
taheide

2005-04-18          110017

Well, the washer will work, its the prewash part that needs work. I found using a mixture of Dawn and water sprayed on the grease first helps break it down enough so the splatters dont stick to everything else. For heavy crud, I use Gunk engine degreaser, then power wash it all. It takes skill to wash the grease off and keep it off everything else including yourself. ;). Work from the center, moving the grease away from the tractor, and you will get it done. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-18          110027

This is kind of like beer..... you don't own it you just sort of rent it.

In this case you don't really get rid of the grease.... you just transfer it to something else like the driveway, your hair, your clothes, the bottom of your shoes.......... ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-18          110029

?? Why do you want to get rid of the grease. Built up grease around the grease-able pins and bushings keeps the dirt out. Dirt/dust is what helps wears the pins and bushings out and they cost $$ to replace.

David ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-04-19          110049

The best way to remove excess grease is with paper towels. If you truly do feel the need to pressure wash you need hot water. The problem with pressure wash is you push water and dirt into your joint. Any time you wash or pressure wash you should regrease that area. So it kinda a catch 22.

As dsg said the small excess grease helps grab dirt before the grease in the joint does. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-04-19          110076

I bought an el-cheapo Campbell Hausfeld pressure washer from Wal-Mart, it's 110 V electric, can't really remember what the pressure is but its some where around 1500 PSI. Its also a cold water only but I have run scalding hot water (180F) from my heater through it for years, with no problem. Best part is, if it craps out I will just buy another. It makes really funny sounds and whines a bit but for value for money you can't beat it, it does all the cleaning I need (I dont pressure wash the tractor) and with hot water it takes grease and oil off virtually anything. I use it with hot water and detergent to clean up our slaughter area when we do fall lambs as there is generally quite a bit of fat to take care of on the floor and equipment. I love it, and its really simple, ON or OFF, thats it. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-04-21          110182

True, you dont want to remove the grease , but if it is anything like mine, after 200 hours, thats 20 times it has been greased, there are large globs of dirty gross grease on every joint and fitting. Washing at an angle tha prevents water from entering the joint helps, and then grease the joints afterwards and wipe off the excess when done. I like to wash my tractor a few times a year, especially after moving the manure pile during winter, it gets crap all over it and it cakes on pretty good. Right now the tractor really looks grungy, and is starting to smell. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login