Go Bottom

Transplanting grapes

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-19          110074

My neighbor has some mature grapes along a fence line that he wants to get rid of. There are 6 plants. If I transplant them, are the roots deep? I was planning on digging a sizeable ball ( maybe 2 1/2' diameter) and dig down about that deep and yank out what I can. Was planning on watering them heavily throughout the season. Does that sound like a good plan?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Transplanting grapes

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-23          123260

I have transplanted many grape vines by just taking a cutting in late fall, and sticking them in the ground. They are hardy, and will grow easly. Takes about 2-3 seasons to get grapes from. If you want to transplant mature plants, just dig up what roots you can, and cut vine back severly, and plant. Should do alright. Keep watered, and wait 2 years.

Transplanting grapes

View my Photos
ScooterMagee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-23          123271

What was said above is right on. But, here's my additional 2-cents.

When I prepare a hole for a grape vine cutting transplant, I dig about 15" dia x 3' (or a little more) deep. I've never moved mature grapes, but would think the same would apply. If you have clay soil (like I do), you should amend it, to achieve better drainage, "grape plants don't like wet toes". Cut back the foliage by about 2/3, so that the energy goes back into re-establishing the roots, and they should be fine.

Transplanting grapes

View my Photos
RRagent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-24          123385

Anyone have any grape vines for sale, I can't find any around my neighborhood, Looking for Pink and Muskidine.
Also when is best time to set them out?
Thanks ....

Transplanting grapes

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2006-01-24          123393

As for the time to plant, it depends on where you are located. Here in Nebraska I planted leafed grape vine plants in mid-May. If you are staring with vines that are bare-rooted and dormant, you could probably start earlier. If you are staring from cuttings, you will want to start the cuttings indoors, until they are well rooted, several weeks before you plan on planting outside.

"Iowa Grape Vines" is were I have been buying vines for the last couple years. Unlike may of the larger nurseries, they are more willing to accommodate smaller order qunatites. ....

Link:   Iowa Grape Vines

Transplanting grapes

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-24          123405

RR,
Not sure where you live in NC, I live about 20 miles west of Myrtle Beach in SC. I have purchased grapes from Stark Brothers and they did fair. Part of their problem was me. In our temp zone muscadine are the best ones. Based upon my own experience try to find grapes you like and ask for cuttings. Here you need to do any pruning in Feb. to cut down on their "bleeding."

www.ParkSeed.com
www.starkbros.com

I think you will find both of these companies can help you with a small order. Have used both and like both. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login