Go Bottom

Transplanting Walnut Trees

View my Photos
Mike1819
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-30          111731

I have a small out-building with 4 Walnut trees growing next to it. One is decent size and the other three are 10 - 12 foot tall. One is about 8 or 9 ft from the big one and the other two are within 4 ft of the big one. Can I dig these three smaller ones up and transplant them?

I'm in se Ohio and if I can do this, can do it now or do I have to wait until fall?

These tress have a decent start but will have to be moved. I would like to save them if at all possible.

Can anyone help me out here?

Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-30          111740

It is really too late now to transplant safely. For the average person to transplant a tree this size, bare root is likely to be your best option. It will allow you to get more of the roots (farther out from the trunk) without worrying about a root ball you cannot handle or ball properly. Waiting till fall? By fall the tree will not grow any more until spring so spring is better IMHO. Sometime in march well before but break. this will allow the transplant just before the growth season so the tree will re-establish more quickly than just putting it there in the fall just to sit till spring. ....

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-30          111742

If the trees have leafed out you have to what until fall or spring.
The rule of thumb for digging the rootball. 10" round and 6"-9" deep for every 1" of trunk diameter. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login