Go Bottom

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
steve4300
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-07          116054

does anyone know where I can get some good ideas on building raised vegetable gardens.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
BillBass

2005-09-08          116057

Do a google search for raised vegetable garden. You will get more hits than you can handle. Here is one. ....

Link:   raised vegetable garden

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
Larry G. Allen

2005-09-11          116245

I don"t know if you have a disc hiller or not but if you wan"t to take all the work out of hilling. get one atwww.Agri=Supply.com ph # 1-800-345-0169 This is the most fantastic tool I have ever seen Very reasonable too! ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-11          116252

At one time there was a series on television called the square foot gardener. I am not sure where you can get the tapes, but there are tapes available on the site below.

I built raised beds in KY as there was no good soil near the house. I used cross ties and made beds that were 16' by 4'. I would recommend beds a little narrower than these are it was hard to reach the center with the 8" cross tie boarder. ....

Link:   Square foot Garderning

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-12          116261

While invovled with a non-profit farm that worked during the day with physically and metally challanged people they had an extensive raised garden area that had areas for both wheel chair as well as just lower gardens. They had paths between so wheel chairs could go between and were paved. The bulk of them were just out of 2x12's and built in a variety of sizes depending on the people. They had some with flowers as well as vegtables. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
metastable

2005-09-13          116327

I'm sure some of the links mention this, but it's worth mentioning here as well. Be very careful about which wood you use if you make raised boxes. Arsenic treated wood will leach into the soil and vegetables, and will poison you slowly. The new copper treated wood is better but still not great. Old railroad ties have creosote which can also poison you slowly. Synthetic deck planks (plasticised), natural cedar, etc may be a better choice. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2005-09-13          116333

When I was researching raised beds earlier this year I happened across this info on treated lumber. This may help you decide what is safe to use. ....

Link:   Treated Wood in the Garden

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
steve4300

2006-03-04          125562

I am getting ready to build my raised beds they are going to be 6'x6' rough cut. They will be 12 inches high. My question is , Is there any special way to fill them. I will proberly will have 6 of them . I can get sand and cow and hourse manure cheap, but good loam is kinda expensive. Thank you for any help. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-07          125724

Steve

I pile all my leaves,grass clippings, garden waste in a pile with the fel. This is all I use in My raised beds. I do not turn it or mess with it in anyway. I have plenty of time. Wal-mart usually has bags of soil for around $1 this is great stuff. I cover my beds when not in use with a cover that does not let in sunlight and it kills the weed seeds. The manure is great stuff but will have weed seeds. Keep water close at hand raised beds drain faster than ground level. I use cypruss mulch after planting weeding is a waste of time better to stop them. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
tinkman

2006-03-08          125794

I constructed 3 raised beds by dry stacking cement blocks 5 rows high. I had the local landscape supply company dump alot of their basic, untreated soil mix and used the FEL to put into the beds. Added some bagged organic supplements when filled and will add more this spring. This is not a cheap way to go, but I don't have to worry about wood chemicals, rotting wood, etc. If for any reason I need to tear them down, it won't be hard. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-08          125798

I used local top soil and manure in KY, but would not recommend it. I did not have the best results. Do you have a local town dump they are often composting organics which you could get to mix with some sand. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-08          125807

Steve,

Troybuilt tillers use to have a show on tv in which they showed raised beds. They used a different method than that offered so far and it will work depending on your ground. If your ground is good okay, if not poor choice.

They just used a steel tooth rake to pull dirt from each side of the bed to leave a little furrow on the sides and to made the raised bed. There was no sides to the beds.

If you are familiar of beds made by farmers for certain crops was really the same type setup but just a wider bed. I used this method for a few years and was very pleased with it.

Someone pointed it our, raise beds will dry out faster (main reason I used them) but they also warm up faster.

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-08          125808

tinkman

BLOCKS, glad I read this post. I was going to buy 5 12' x 12" treated lumber cover them for my beds. I have 200 cinderblocks in the shed. You are a genius thanks for the wake up call. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-08          125812

Larry,

Are you talking about the hiller blades that used with tractor cultivators?

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
tinkman

2006-03-08          125819

Let me embelish with a couple more pointers. I drove several 6 foot rebar down thru the block holes once laid to help stabilize them. Thus far, it doesn't appear that the weight of the dirt will bow out the blocks. However, I intend to order some more dirt to fill the block holes. I did that partially with one bed last year and planted some marigolds in them, which are supposed to be good for attracting beneficial insects. You could plant herbs or other things in those holes too.

I left about 6 inches of rebar sticking up and using 10 foot lenghths of gray PVC 3/4 inch conduit, I bent them over into hoops and put them over the rebar so I could but plastic or row protectors over the beds. Worked great!

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-08          125824

Tinkman
My blocks will only be two high with treated stakes for support. I use bone meal, blood meal, with composted soil and some 10-10-10. A thick layer of cypress mulch will take care of all bug problems. It also keeps dirt splashed by rain of the harvest. The cypress mulch plant is just down the road. I get it for $20 for 2 1/2 yards. The mulch also helps with the moisture the beds dry out real fast in 100 degrees. I use old carpet as a base for the beds limits the loss of soil. I planted tomatos, peppers, and bush beans today in my established beds. I use no chemicals at all. I will build the block beds this weekend if I do not have to work at the salt mine.

QUESTION
Does anyone have a real time explantion as to what lime does for the soil and when to use it with out getting a sample from DNR. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-08          125835

SG,
In Georgia you may use the DNR for soil samples but in SC we pay about $5 per sample and they go to our County Agent.
They give a full report on all needs and not just lime.

I have wondered about the test kits you can buy to do the testing yourself and the meters. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-08          125839

KT

Quit pulling my leg you use some of your clemson buddys.
A cherrios truck wrecked in clemson and it took the authorities two weeks to get the students out of the fields and stop them from planting the dognut seeds.

Nothing but love ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-09          125862

SG,

Yep on the Clemson buddies. I think the people who do the taste testing on the dirt are recruited from Georgia Tech or NC State.

Hey, just kidding. Just kidding.

You did not know the dognuts plants produced right well?

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-09          125893

You are right, they produce some of the best dirt tasters on the planet. You forgot I'm from Charleston I like the Game Cocks. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-13          126058

Tinkman

I built two beds this weekend out of cinder-blocks it was easy, fast and they do make a great bed. I filled in the holes in the blocks with composted soil and planted flowers in them. After watering the dirt in the holes set up and made the structure even more sturdy. The two new beds have tomatoes in one and and assortment of peppers in the other. Potted plants line the rest of the area on the blocks. With everything in one area makes it easy for watering. Thanks for the Idea. ....

raised vegetable gardens

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-05-06          128996

I have been eating peppers for two weeks, and got my first 5 tomatoes today. They were the cherry tomatoes. The beefsteak and better boy have not started to turn. The beans are looking good they have flowers all over them and some beans around 2" long. The mums in the cinder block holes are about 16" high. I have seen alot of lubbers, but No real bug problems so far. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login