Go Bottom

It s raining INSIDE my new Pole Barn

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-20          119575

HELP!

I just finished a 42 x 63 pole barn on the new property and the roof is "sweating" so bad that is seems to be raining inside. The inside of the roof panels on the north side (peak goes east and west) seem to be much worse than on the south side. There was some snow on the roof, it has gotten warm enough now that it has slid off from both sides, but it is still raining! Can anything be done about this?

Additional info: Gravel (road base) floor, 14' wall height, one 12 x 12 overhead door, one 36" service door, no windows, building roof peak goes east and west, service door faces west roughly on center of building, overhead door is in north west corner facing west.

We have some stuff stored in there from thinning out the house for selling proposes, but luckily it is not getting wet (yet). It is all on the south side of the building. Only the plow truck and the peddle boat are on the north side right now, so they can get wet, I don't care. If I tarp the boxes and stuff in there will condensation form inside the tarp too?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-20          119577

You could spray some foam insulation on the under side of the roof. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-11-20          119583

I assume metal roof? If so, what color?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-20          119584

My neighbor recently finished a similar sized and construction pole barn. The contractor installed a 3/8" layer of silver "bubble wrap" type insulation under and directly to the sheetmetal roofing to address this issue. Kinda late for you now but you may be able to go back and do this in some areas. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-20          119586

I get this a few times a year here. It will be cold then a warm moist front will come in from the south. I get almost everything covered with water including the cement floor.

I would assume you would need to keep the air from the underside of the metal. Maybe you could consider the bubble insulation like the solar covers for the pool. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-11-20          119589

Walls are a pale tan color and the roof is dark green.

Just going up there to put some ploy over the contents. I guess this is just how it's gonna be, huh? Maybe when the concrete floor is done (year or two, sigh) maybe the moisture level will drop inside, lowering the frequency of this phenomenon. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-11-20          119591

The color of the roof is contributing to your problem. Dark colors absorb heat, light colors reflect it. It's probably the absorbed heat that's promoting condensation on the underside. I too have a dark green netal roof, manage to avoid condensation accumulation with vented soffit, a 1-3/4" air gap, and a ridge vent. Cool dry air enters via the soffit, then the principle of "heat rises" causes it to flow to and out the ridge vent. I believe this moving air is why I don't have a condensation problem.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-20          119592

I've had this problem in the past, but it seems to have let up after the moisture in the soil and gravel in the building dry out the first year. If you plan to concret the floor things will get better, but even with concret there will be times in the spring when the floor is cold and the air is warm and moist that the floor will look like it rained in the building. Venting the roof will help a lot too. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
glocknut30

2005-11-20          119604

Bill had the solution.

There is a product made for this purpose. It isn't cheap and is a royal PITA to install but it does work. It solved my raining issue just like yours on an open end wing on my last shed and the roof color was white!

I tried pouring concrete but that only made my wallet lighter and the concrete wet. It still rained in the morning just as the sun peaked over the ridge and hit the shed roof. This is why I installed a traditional wood deck and shingles on my new shed to prevent all the micro-climate issues.

There are several good ways (some mentioned above) to incorporate while building to prevent this but you need something to do now.

The stuff I used came from Tech Supply in 5 gal buckets. I used a sheetrock mud sprayer (can you say MESSY?) to fling it upwards. I would recommend a proper spraying device as I just used what I had. It turned out really well, looked great and it quit raining.

At least, it worked for me. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-11-20          119615

This is type of stuff I'm talking about. As you can see, you can buy it as a do-it-yourself kit but I think it would be cheaper to hire someone in the business. ....

Link:   Tiger Foam Insulation

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-11-20          119617

As was refered to in an above post, some sort of insulation between the roof steel and the trusses may have prevented this problem. It would be a little tough to add this after-the-fact so some sort of spray-on insulation would probably work too. When I had a 30x56 shop/garage built last year (stud frame on stem wall and footer, steel siding and roof, truss roof), the contractor suggested a "condensation blanket" under the roof steel. It looks like regular fiberglass insulation but is only about an inch thick and has heavier plastic on the top and bottom. It compressed down to a minimal thickness above the trusses where the steel was screwed down. So far I have been pleased with its function. It also provides some thermal insulation for the building in both summer and winter. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120111

I have a metal roof shop with concrete floor and open sheds with dirt floor all in one building. One of the side sheds will sweat as you are seeing but very little with the other two sides and the concrete floored shop it self. If you poor concrete be sure you put down a vapor barrier first.
You did not mention drainage, my shed that sweats needs grading on that side so rain will run away. The other two sides have more of a grade and little sweating.
A question for these guys with experience here, if he were to install a ceiling would that not help or prevent it? I don't think the fact whether the insulation is on the back of the roof itself or on the top of the ceiling would matter. Hopefully there would not be moisture between the ceiling and the roof, at least not sufficient to cause a problem. You may find you could use the foam plywood size sheets for a ceiling which would be light to install (no strength to them). ....

View my Photos
BigDogues

2005-12-19          121335

I just put up a shelter to house my tractor and had the same problem. When the sun would come out it would be like the tropics in there.
Where I really goofed was I waited till way too late to put up my shelter. We already had the first snow so that the ground was wet even after I cleared it. That moisture would evaporate in the nice warm greenhouse I had created and then it would either freeze on the roof or it would rain inside. I finally got rid of it by waiting for a nice dry day and warming up the shelter with a combination of solar warmth and a propane fired forced hot air heater. When it was good and warm I opened the door all the way and let the moisture evaporate outside. Then I covered the floors with some cheap tarps to keep more moisture from coming up. So far, so good. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login