Go Bottom

Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase

View my Photos
Ironpeddler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-14          121037

Yes last year twine went up $10 a bale. Usually twine will take big drop the year following a large increase, but that is not the case now. What has happened with sisal is there is increased demand for sisal rugs. The most expensive sisal fibers from African sisal were switched from AG twine to sisal rugs but the demand has exceeded the supply of the available African sisal. The European mills located in Portugal have moved their operations to Brazil because of the logistics of now having to use Brazilian sisal for the European markets. The sisal fibers used in baling twine take two years to grow so when demand increases it takes 2 years for the producers to catch up.

Any twine in stock now will be at a lower price than when the 2006 stock hits the market. Since we purchase thousands of bales of twine we purchase 6-9 months in advance. We have nothing to gain by selling a few bales of twine in stock now when we will receive $5 more for it in a few months.

Plastic twine is made from oil and oil prices have dramatically increased since last years twine raw materials were purchased. Depending on the plastic twine desired, it has gone up $3-5 for next years market.

This price increase will not affect the average small producer because they may use 5-10 bales of twine. What if you used 100 bales of twine? That would purchase $500 more of that cheap diesel fuel. Farmers need all the advantage they can get because they purchase retail and sell wholesale & work long hours in non-glamorous situations.

Link:   Hay Equipment Headquarters

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-14          121044

Thanks for those words from one of our NON-sponsors.....

...and now back to our regularly scheduled tractor talk...

Bwuuup, Bwuuup, Spam Alert........ ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2005-12-14          121045

Just tell me what I am trying to sell MURF? If you think you can sell twine over the net you are showing your Ignorance. I'm a Premium member and paying for that.
"Bwuuup, Bwuuup, Spam" Alert should be posted after any of the BS you post anywhere on the net. If you want to call me out you know where you can reach me. Mark Carter ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-14          121048

Let me guess. You're trying to sell equipment, right? Isn't that why you posted a link to your web site? BTW, you don't show as being a premium member. There's no "Premium Member" indicator by your name and there's no "P" next to status on your profile. If you paid you might ask Dennis about that. Or just try logging out and back in to see if it fixes it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-14          121049

I'm not going to get into a school-yard level discussion.

You are a MEMBER yes, and you pay for it, OK, so do others here, I don't see MEMBERS who are computer whizes touting their businesses for free.

I'm sure there's more than one golfer or landscaper on this board.... Tell me, what is the name of my business?

You don't know it, and you don't know what my website is BECAUSE I DON'T SPAM THIS OR ANY OTHER BOARD.

"...posted after any of the BS you post anywhere on the net..."

Care to elucidate a little on that statement?

So you're saying Mark it's a complete coincedence that you are posting about the price increase on binder twine, then saying, of course, you would never do such a thing, then put a link to YOUR OWN SITE which just happens to have in big red letters across the top of the page "Hay Equipment Headquarters" ??????

Just who do you think is going to buy that?

Pun completely intentional. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-14          121051

BTW, Ken brings up a very good point .... your profile.

I see nothing but sales brochure type pictures on your profile, and then when I click on the "View Posts by Ironpeddler" link guess what I see, 90+ posts, in almost every single one of them your post is nothing but a thinly veiled infomercial wherein you say such & such can be had from CC Machinery and there is a link to your site.

Interesting screen name BTW, from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary "Peddler: one who offers merchandise (as fresh produce) for sale along the street or from door to door."

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2005-12-14          121052

Murf,
Show me where I mentioned our business in the text or even a price. That is crazy for you to say that I'm trying to sell off this post. If I'd said LandPride make a good core aerator but I'm not a LandPride dealer that would be the something.

Twine is sold locally. Just because I have a business does not preclude me from posting.

All I tried to do was to give some people the heads up what was going on with twine.

Murf have you been eating that MadCow infected Canadian Beef? ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-14          121055

I agree with Murf and KW. Although Murf does talk about his business, it's used to provide information based on expeience gained in operating his business. I've never seen him post his business's name or website. Although I'm curious about it, he does an excellent job of keeping that side seperate from his board postings.

If Murf hadn't called you out, I would have. I started to read your posting and my "advertiser" alarm went off. Then I saw you were already called on it. Be upset if you want, I think the responses to your post were justified. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-14          121062

It's always interesting to note the downhill slide of an arguement....

First the opinions.....

Then comes the facts.......

Then comes the personal insults... even if it is one sided.

Mark, still waiting ..... "...posted after any of the BS you post anywhere on the net..."

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-12-14          121064

As someone once said:
I dont know exactly how to describe it - but I know it when I see it. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-12-14          121065

As someone once said:
I dont know exactly how to describe it - but I know it when I see it. ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2005-12-14          121067

Murf,
I just wasted over an hour reading your posts. I would agree with 90% of what you say and the rest would just be splitting hairs. It looks like I can not find any BS that I spoke of. I'd say I should apologize for the BS and MadCow remarks. I'm not subtle when I trying to sell something but I had no intentions of selling anything from the twine post. Now I have posted in the past blatantly pushing our products. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-12-14          121072

In ironpeddlers defence... The prices of twine as well as net wrap, and preservative have gone through the roof in the last two years. If you were a production farmer I would highly recommend buying what you need now for the coming season because when spring comes around every thing is going to cost more. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-14          121083

Seems to me, we should be growing some twine here.
I wonder if a cow could digest the biodigradable polylactic acid from Cargil Dow? How much does a ball of twine weigh? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-14          121084

Maybe somebody could start making it out of California Hemp. There's probably an unlimited supply. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-14          121085

Oregon tree farm Ken? "Nudge! Nudge! Wink! Wink! Say no more! Say no more!" To quote the a famous Eric. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-14          121086

LOL! Love Monty Python. The skit that applies to me is the Lumberjack song. "I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok"... Er, no, that's not quite right either :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-15          121100

Mr. Carter, thank you, now lets collectively get back to instructing & educating the cyber world on the proper, efficient & SAFE use of a CUT and related accessories, agreed?

BTW, I too agree that it was a good (and timely) bit of information for those of us that produce hay. My remarks were strictly limited to the 'commercial' side of the post. Although as a (multiple) business owner myself I can certainly understand and appreciate the motivation behind it.

I wish you nothing but continued success in your business ventures. As a blantant plug now for Dennis, you may well wish to explore his advertising, it is very high in the list when you Google or otherwise search this topic. ;->

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-15          121104

It is my understand hemp is not legal to grow in the United States. This with there being varieties that have no drug use or value to them. Is anyone aware of a change on this? There was a push to allow it for the rope or string use but was denied is my understanding.
kt ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-12-15          121108

kt, my Dad said once that hemp production was encouraged by the Dept. of Agriculture during World War 2 for the production of rope and twine for the war effort. Im sure there are many variteys of hemp some of which do not have the potential to produce drugs, but perhaps all hemp production has been banned I'm not sure. An interesting question. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-15          121110

Frank,
What you said is as I also understand. It was promoted and now is outlawed.

Again, who has accused a politician of common sense?

There are those who are suppose to be pushing for us to grow it again as it is suppose to be profitable. Now I know where it can not be grown here. Profitable!

kt ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-12-15          121111

Just to be sure we dont get confused. The sisal plant is nothing like the hemp plant. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-15          121115

Thanks Ann..... but how is the plant grounded? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-12-15          121117

By it's roots??? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-15          121120

Sisal is a type of agave. Most of us that have been to Mexico know what the other by product of agave is. I wonder if the US government has also outlawed Sisal production? I thought they repealed that amendment?
Hemp is a much better fiber, much higher fiber content and much faster growth. ....

Link:   Sisal

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-15          121123

No doubt Peters hit the reason it is outlawed...it is the better fiber.

Knew there had to be a reason.

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2005-12-15          121129

Hemp is a stronger fiber than sisal. NH tried some hemp twine in the early 1990's from Mexico and it gave mega problems and they stopped selling it.
Hemp is a coarser fiber and does not work as well with the knotters.

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-15          121132

Like Agave I am sure it depends on the variety grown. They make cloth of some varieties of hemp. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-21          121497

Did any one else here the news story on this yesterday, not sure who the lady is but she (in U.S.) said we would be a friendlier society if we stopped drinking alochol and smoke hemp and use the hemp fiber for our fuel needs over oil.
She has potential. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-12-21          121502

Is she hacking up beer joints with an axe to get probition started again. We better calmed her down. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-21          121510

Pete and I were talking about a corn or wood pellet burning car. A Hemp pellet burning car, seems like "Nice Dreams" (Cheech and Chong). Could certainly make a calmer nation. Especially in LA. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-22          121530

That just might be where CA emmissions laws are designed to go.

As to the hemp in pellets, it could be in rope and a simple roller system used to run out the amount needed such as the wick in a kersone light, and retract it into a fire safe tube when load decreases. Guess then they would not mind the traffic jams, right? By using rope, they would not have to worry about fuel spills in an accident.

Boy, think of all the money that could be saved over the gas station. Why every store could have coils of fuel for sale.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-22          121562

YEp and kids will be hanging outside the store asking "Due, could you score us some rope?" ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-22          121563

and what is the line about if you give them enough rope?

Go Top

Share This

Member Login