Go Bottom

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-11          129241

I'm looking at a tow-behind Swisher log splitter with an 11.5 hp Briggs engine, 2 stage pump, 16 gpm flow, 26" 34 ton capacity. Anyone know anything about these? Does Swisher make decent equipment?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-11          129243

Swisher is well known and a big player in the ATV aftermarket realm.

The splitter must be a new product as I didn't see it on my last visit to the swisher site.

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-11          129244

After finding the splitter on the swisher web page, I only have one question.

Are those high speed hubs and tires? I get a little suspicious when I don't see any lug bolts.

I suppose if you never intend to tow it behind the truck it won't make much diffference.... as long as you can get it home. ....

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-11          129247

The spec sheet says they're high speed bearings. The tires look puny but I only need to tow it 8-10 miles mostly on surface streets to get it home. Unless I buy through Amazon - there I could save $300 even with shipping to the front door. ....

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-05-12          129252

The Swisher site does not give the Hydraulic fluid capacity. It should be around seven gallons, less and it gets too hot.

My father in law told me that someone got killed in PA when a towed log splitter came off the tow vehicle and a car behind struck it.

I have the same sealed bearing wheels on my Troy Built 33 ton unit, and when I was towing it home it felt kinda bouncey, I think the cap is 40mph.

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
Chief

2006-05-12          129259

I haul my log splitter in my trailer. In my opinion, they are just to top heavy and prone to rolling over. Not what you want to have happen on the road.

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-12          129267

The 11.5hp model has 6.5 gallon hydraulic capacity. For a little extra money I could buy the 12.5hp model and get 9 gallon capacity. I'll only be splitting 4-5 cords a year.

The towing limit is 45 mph and it looks like it would indeed get quite bouncy at that speed. Fortunately it would only be towed around the property. There is no need to travel to get wood, we're surrounded by it. ....

Swisher log splitters

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-05-12          129288

I just bought 5 cords of log rolls, and the 8.5 hp 33 ton splitter has no problem with the huge Paul Bunyon size stuff they sent me (Maple and Ashe). I split numerous green 30" diameter logs, no problem. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login