Go Bottom

Tractor Loader Bucket Forks

View my Photos
dnsmithnc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-01          149764

I am looking to get some forks for my front end loader that will attach to the bucket so I won't have to endure the pain of taking it off.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I am looking at some on ebay, specifcally:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRACTOR-LOADER-BUCKET-FORKS-Kubota-Deere-Massey-Oliver_W0QQitemZ160193799434QQihZ006QQcategoryZ41488QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Loader-Forks-Bucket-Skidsteer-Tractor-with-Binders_W0QQitemZ160194796248QQihZ006QQcategoryZ41488QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-01          149765

What will you be using them for? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-01          149774

Good question Auer :)

I looked at the second link on eBay. You realize they are made of 2x2" tubing, not even soild stock. And they give no hint to the type of material or even the wall thickness. I have a skid steer pallet fork attachment for my skid steer. I know there is a lot of side-to-side play, or forces (swinging) that come into play with forks that long and carrying a load. Those eBay clamp on's don't appear to have any generous bucket lip to prevent swinging. Yes there are chains and binders but how tight do you have to get them to prevent them from swinging? ....

View my Photos
dnsmithnc

2008-01-02          149805

I thought I replied but apparently there was a foul up somewhere.

Anyway, as far as what I am going to be using the forks for, nothing specific and thus why I didn't indicate. Examples might be, general moving of materials, nothing heavy. Putting an enclosed platform on the forks and using it to assist in painting and repair farm buildings, cutting limbs, transporting paint, shingles or whatever to the top of a building.

Though I won't be doing transporting anything heavy most of the time, I would still like something in the 3000lb category just in case.

earthwrks, what did you think of the first forks that I found listed on Ebay?

Thanks for your responses. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-01-02          149807

I have a 3' spike for each side of the bucket that I install to carry long tree branches. I don't want to leave them on because they make the tractor 3' longer and less manoeverable and harder to park, and I can't then excavate with the bucket.

I welded a socket-like holder on the back area of each outer side, and a simple rest on the forward area. The spikes are held in place by a pin that goes through a hole for them at the socket.

For standing on the bucket as a platform I made a 3/4" plywood shelf that fits closely into the bucket and is locked in place. I stand on the level shelf then. I also welded a couple of sockets into which I insert a close-fitting vertical metal pipe that I can hold onto or lean against. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-01-02          149814

I did basicly the same as auerbabh with a pair of 5 inch channel irons sticking out avout 3 ft. from each corner, but as dnsmith said they don't stand heavy loads nvery well laying flat, maybe I should have stood them on edge. Frank ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-02          149817

The other problem with bucket forks is the mounting style itself, simple physics (leverage) says the further out you put a load, the less load you can lift.

In the case of a tractor of the size of a Mahindra 4500, I would say the FEL with either of those sets of forks would give you a real world capacity of about 750 pounds. Maybe.

If removing the bucket is a PITA, then get a set of quick attach brackets, then at least you will gain some useful lift capacity back as well.

As for using them as a work platform, there's easier ways to kill yourself. A tractor has a pivoting front axle, reach too far off to one side and the whole issue may go over. That's if you don't upset it moving around with someone up in the bucket trying to get into position in the first place.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2008-01-02          149830

Check out my pic # 18. I bought these forks when I bought my Tractor they only cost $235.00 best $235.00 I ever spent. They work great easy on easy off very strong. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
wmgysi

2008-01-22          150530

I found forks to hook up to the 3pth in the back. That works great. Check it out.
Regards
Werner ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login