Go Bottom

Bermuda Fertilizer for Horse Pasture

View my Photos
Toddh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-25          15089

Does anyone have suggestions for a horse-safe fertilizer for bermuda grass on approx. 15ac horse pasture? I live in the Dallas, Tx. area, so summer weather is hot and dry. I'm also trying to keep the weeds from taking over again this year. I'm mowing regularly to keep the weeds at bay for now in hopes that the bermuda will take hold and cover, but would like to promote the bermuda growth with fertilizers or other "turf management" techniques (it's not really "turf" yet, but hopefully one day). Is owning a 3 point spreader a necessity or can you borrow one from where you buy the fetilizer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-04-25          15094

Todd,
Based upon what you described, I think it would make sense to purchase a 3pt broadcast spreader and maybe a sprayer. Farm & Home has a decent unit for around $300. As far as the turf situation, I don't live in TX or have Bermuda grass, but I don't think fertilizer will be your answer. Remember, the weeds will benefit from the fertilizer as well. Sounds like you need to spray for weeds as a primary step to allow the grass to take over. Unfortunately, I would assume this means your horses will be Pasture-less for some period of time. If possible, you may consider sectioning the pasture with temporary fence in order to spray the sectioned area without worry of your horses getting sick. Obviously this won't allow for a once and done application, but it may be your safest bet. I would also talk to someone where you would buy the spray to see what they recommend for your situation. The fact that you have to mow the pasture sounds like you have a decent amount of acreage per horse. Seems most guys don't follow the maximum of 1 horse per acre rule. Or that seems to be the rule here in Eastern PA. Lots a luck.. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-04-25          15096

Todd, Stop by one of the farmer's co-op places and talk to them about the fertilizer and spreader. The proper fertilizer might depend on a soil analysis of your soil. I live about 65 miles straight south of Dallas, and let a neighbor use my pasture for cattle (he doesn't have any horses, but did have donkeys until recently) and he goes to the co-op in Malone and buys his fertilizer, in their big 4 wheeled ground driven spreader/trailer. He pulls it home (15 miles) behind his pickup, hooks it to his tractor to drive back and forth across the pasture with it slinging the fertilizer out the back, then takes the spreader/trailer back to the co-op. My pasture is coastal bermuda, and he lets the cattle graze it part of the year, and other times (like now), keeps the cattle out to let it grow, then cuts and bales it for hay. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login