Go Bottom

Pond spill way

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-25          160617

We are redoing a pond of about an acre and need to raise the spill way about a foot. It is concret tile like used for drive ways in dirt dam. Don't want to dig it out due to concerns about it washing out. Have thought about inserting PVC pipe with elbow turned up and short lenght of pipe so the water falls into. Really all we need to do is raise water level to the top of the current pipe. I need to know how to seal betwen the pvc pipe and the concrete tile. Premix concrete is my best thought.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pond spill way

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-25          160618

Hydraulic cement. I've seen divers use it to patch leaks in concrete swimming pools - that are full of water!! I use it to plug leaks in my basement walls - from the inside. It expands as it dries, and believe me - it dries quickly. And as the divers clearly demonstrated, it even dries underwater.

//greg// ....

Pond spill way

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-02-25          160620

If the attachment-space between plastic and stone is wet, mortar cement like Sacrete will do it if the area can be protected for an hour. If it is or can be made dry, the industrial adhesive PL400 (comes in a jumbo cartridge or in pails) will stick the two. It's not fast-drying and isn't as easy to work as Sacrete, but it holds forever like epoxy, doesn't cost much, and does not contract as it hardens. ....

Pond spill way

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-02-26          160632

How big is the pipe. What about a large rubber connection sleeve, with a couple of huge hose clamps on it. I have seen these up to 8" in the plumbing section of TSC. I have a smaller version of one at home where it's is used to connect 4" pvc to 4" cast iron. ....

Pond spill way

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-02-26          160633

The concrete pipe is at least 12 inche diameter but we think 10 inch pvc will be large enough. But thanks for the suggestion for had not thought about TSC having the pipe I needed. Was looking at 45 miles away. ....

Pond spill way

View my Photos
Murf

2009-02-26          160636

Ken, when we have to do drains on the ponds we do them as multiples.

In fact, we usually also stagger them slightly in elevation too.

Instead of using a 12" pipe which can be ungainly, get a 12" step down adapter (any place that sells municipal water or sewer pipe will have them) to say 10" and then put a "street T" (the incoming meets at a shallow angle or a bend shape) and step down to say 8" and do the same, but have the stand pipe coming up end an inch higher, then step down to say 6" and repeat with the stand pipe being still another inch higher.

This way you will have 3 outlets, ranging in height from water level, to 1" above and finally to 2" above water level. Doing it this way, as the water rises so does the capacity to carry it away. If you look at a typical spillway, the opening is usually a trapezoid, getting wider as it goes up, this is to allow for an increasing volume of water as the level rises.

Finally, if you are going to use a vertical drain(s), be sure to protect the top with a cage of some form to prevent floating debris (or critters if that's an issue) from clogging it up.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login