Go Bottom

Tractor use

View my Photos
djholm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-07-18          18067

I have a NH 1720 and am wondering how steep an angle I can mow. I have a 5' rotory cutter and would like to know at what angle I am safe to mow a hill side before it may tip over.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor use

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-07-18          18074

I'm not sure you can get anyone to commit to how steep an incline is safe; depends on your tractor, how wide apart the tires are, how low the center of gravity is, etc. I put a tiltmeter (inclinometer) on my tractor and I've mowed at 18 degrees and don't like it. I think the tractor could handle 20 degrees, but not sure my nerves could. On tractorbynet, I recently read that ANSI standards require the ability to operate on 20 degrees, but if you are already at 20 degrees or close to it, and a wheel hits a soft spot, hole, etc. on the low side, or a rock, limb, etc. on the high side, well you can imagine what might happen. I try to limit my work to 15 degrees or less. If you're interested in buying and installing a tiltmeter, click on the link below and you can visit their web site. I have the model 7489C on my tractor. (And I'm not trying to sell them, don't have any financial interest in the company, etc.) ....

Link:   

Click Here

Tractor use

View my Photos
TomG

2000-07-19          18093

I haven't got a tiltmeter, but quite a few people do. Best rule I've heard is: 'If it doesn't feel safe, it probably isn't.' Of course, stability is much less when traversing hills than going straight up and down. Good idea to stay in 4wd on hills. With a heavy 3ph implement, picking up a loader bucket of dirt and carrying the bucket low helps.

Planning a job also helps. Recently, I noticed that one front wheel was about a foot off the ground. I was trenching for an electrical hookup to a construction trailer. The trench went between the trailer and a 2' mound for a leeching pit. I started at the utility pole since I could get close and also had to avoid the pole anchor. When finished, I found myself boxed between the trench excavations and the leeching pit. On the way out, one rear wheel goes up over the trench excavations and then the opposite corner front wheel starts up the leeching pit. the other front wheel listed off the ground about a foot. I steered so the other rear wheel wouldn't go up the pit, and all was well. The situation probably wasn't too dangerous, but it still could have been avoided. All I had to do was dump the hoe on the trailer, rather than the pit, side. Of course, backfilling the trench wouldn't have been more difficult. ....

Tractor use

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2000-07-19          18098

Just the question that I have wondered about since I got my tractor. In general I think that there are too many variables to answer it. I also go with the "if it does not feel safe, it probably isn't" rule. As I have become more comfortable with the tractor [4300] I get a better feel for what is safe. For bush hogging, I like to back up the hill [where applicable]. I almost never go across the slope. I use 4wd but have read [including in the manual] that you should not. I think the explanation was that if you are going uphill and the front wheels hit something, they can kick the front end in the air and tip the tractor over backwards. There is a site, who address escapes me at the moment, that has a long article or two on tractor safty including how easy it is to tip over backwards. ....

Tractor use

View my Photos
KenB

2000-07-19          18101

My browser can't seem to find the site www.tiltmeter.com. Are they out of biz, or do they spell it differently?

Tractor use

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-07-19          18102

Bird, that inclinometer sounds like one of your better ideas. I'm getting ready to order one (same model as yours). As I've said before on this board, I find my slopes a little scary and always mow straight up and down, never across. The guy I used to hire to cut the pasture always mowed round and round but that's too hard on my nerves. Where on your B2710 do you have the tiltmeter mounted? ....

Tractor use

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-07-19          18104

I just bought the 7489C model also. I got a discount, I think it was 10% for mentioning that I heard of them on Tractorbynet.com. They have several other models available and were quite helpful and cordial on the phone.

Darryl ....

Tractor use

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-07-19          18113

KenB, I don't have any problem accessing the tiltmeter web site; don't know what the problem might be for you. It's R&B Manufacturing at http://www.tiltmeter.com.

Frank I have a steel canopy on my tractor with a coated angle iron frame, and I mounted my tiltmeter to that frame right in the middle under the front edge of the canopy. They come with brackets and can be mounted different places, even on the hood, but I didn't want to drill holes in the hood on my tractor. ....

Tractor use

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-07-19          18116

Doug, I do the vast majority of my mowing (and other work) in 2WD, but when mowing on slopes I use the 4WD. But if a slope is steep enough for the possibility of what you mentioned; the front end kicking up and going over in 4WD, I'll be going up it backwards anyway instead of forward. ....

Tractor use

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-07-22          18179

In the course of our work we are constantly going up or down hills. Experience has taught us that if you start up a hill (or out across questionable ground) in 2wd you will be able to tell when the going gets bad before the tractor starts to spin it's wheels, then 4wd will get you out. If you get stuck in 4wd, you're really stuck. But yes I also agree, if the operator is getting nervous, STOP. Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login