Go Bottom

rear tire chains

View my Photos
Jim Piersol
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-11          18747

I bought a set of rear tire chains for my ford 1620 with turf tires. There is not enough clearance between the tire and the roll bar frame for the tire to spin. It looks like the only way to solve the problem is a spacer in between the wheel hub and the wheel. Any ideas or thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rear tire chains

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-11          18748

Don't know about your machine - and it depends on which wheels that you have, but most tractors with turfs will have a different width if you jack up the rear and either reverse the wheel on the axle (reverses the tread)...or swap the wheels from one side of the tractor to the other keeping the same tread direction. ....

rear tire chains

View my Photos
Ktallman

2003-07-06          58965

I have a 1300 Ford compact tractor with turf tires that I made spacers for. I needed just a little bit more clearance for when using chains. I made them 1 inch thick. They work excellent. I left them on all year but only need them for snowblowing. I went to a local bolts supplier to got the longer metric bolts that I needed. (mine has standard metric bolts but yours may be lug type) I made mine out of 1 inch stainless steel that I got where I worked. They were very easy to install. The biggest cost was the hardened metric bolts. I read on some other site that they didn't recommend doing thisbut I didn't have any other choice. My land is flat and I only mow about 4 acres and snowblow a 350 foot driveway with my tractor. So far no problems with the spacers. I chech the wheel bolts regularly but have not had any loosen up.

rear tire chains

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-06          58972

Jim as Roger L. said most rims for turf tires can be turned around or swapped side to side for more clearance.

Me thinks it would be a odd wheel that can not.

That said there is lots of dicussion about spacers in the archives. ....

rear tire chains

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-07          59006

I think I've heard of a few wheels where the rim is symmetrical on the hub in which case reversing them wouldn't make any difference to the stance. I think these would be pretty rare wheels though. Some rims are adjustable on the hubs so reversing isn't necessary. Some older farm tractors have hubs that are adjustable on the axles. I think the idea here is more to allow the tractor to work fields that use different row spacing rather than to increase stability.

From the standpoint of stability, I've wondered why a tractor would be designed that wasn't as stable as possible. Manufacturers turn out compacts and then the first thing many owners do is load the tires and reverse the wheels. I understand that tractors are supposed to be general-purpose machines and ballasting them for the work they're going to do is part of setup. I don't know why manufacturers just don't make wider tractors if stability is an issue. I suppose there are some maneuverability, storage and transport tradeoffs, and maybe there are other tradeoffs I'm not aware of.

The issue Roger mentioned about turning the wheels around or switching sides is mostly relevant to ag tires. Ags are directional in the sense that the normal mounting gives them more traction going forward than in reverse. Swapping sides keeps the treads going in the same direction. Other tire types may be mildly directional but conventional turfs are not directional as far as I know.

rear tire chains

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-07          59019

Turf tire rims are normally welded off center on the wider ones to keep them tight to the tractor so the gauge wheels on the deck will miss them. They do not have adjustable centers normally so that is not available.. They do try to make a tractor for all purposes and one that will perform well across a broad spectrum of uses which does limit on one end or the other. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login