Go Bottom

Road Driveway Construction

View my Photos
Jerri Neese
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-28          19196

Looking for some help here. I have rough graded about a 1/4 mile road for my property up the side of a mountain. I am having a minor erosion problem and can see how to take care of that problem. My other problem is vegetation regrowth. It is incredible just how fast it seems to grow. Is there a best way to rid myself of this problem. Tools available are a 27 Hp 4wd tractor with box blade. Also have tiller and single bottom plow. Should I plow the whole drive and turn it with the tiller or am I stuck with some sort of herbicide? I really apprecicate any help from the experts here.Thanks, Jerri

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-28          19207

Vegetation is generally caused by an insufficient base beneath the road surface, i.e. there is topsoil there and it is too close to the surface. Probably the best choice (I doubt you want to build the road up any more) is to apply a liberal coating of calcium chloride (CaCl, available almost everywhere) which will not only deter the greenery, but will also help to consolidate (pack) the road and prevent dust and erosion to a great extent. CaCl is best applied with a 3pth spreader (if you buy froma co-op they may have to borrow or rent) be careful with washing everything well afterwards, especially your skin. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-28          19209

Vegetation is your best erosion control. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-08-29          19228

I would agree that perennial vegetation is your best erosion control, AFTER first taking care to properly design road layout and drainage. Things like outsloping, crowning, ditching and culverts, or rolling dips all must be designed into the road from the beginning, or else erosion will forever be a problem. Talk with your local State Forestry, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or a civil engineer to provide input. I work with forest roads and we like to use rolling dips as a low cost road drainage solution. Also, I agree with Murf on the use of calcium chloride for vegetation control for a gravel road, BUT if you are going to keep this as a low-use, native soil roadbase, then put vegetation to work for you. Planting of a low-growing soil binding plant will both reduce erosion and discourage weed growth. What I have in mind are some low-growing sod grasses like Kentucky bluegrass, creeping red fescue or sheep fescue, or an herb like white Dutch clover or hairy vetch. (all of these will work if you're in a cold winter, moderate rainfall area). If you are having problems with woody plants resprouting, then your only solution is either periodic rotary cutter use or spot application of herbicide. ....

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-08-29          19231

Well I knew I could expect good advice and I got it. Now you guys have given me something else to think about. As Roger and Jim had mentioned and I did know but never really consider, was use of vegetation for erosion control. I never really considered a low growing plant, I only see weeds that grow 24" seemingly overnite.
Murf, thank you for the calcium chloride idea, I suspected I needed to mix something in with the oodles of clay I own.
Mike, I do have a dip but need to incorporate some additional spots to relieve some water from the road. Currently the road is crowned with a ditch to one side, however, it still has some lengthy staight runs at a fairly steep grade. I will try to break this up with something on the order of a gravel covered french drain.

Again, thanks for all the ideas, and of course if anyone else or Murf, Roger or Mike have others ideas by all means chip in.

Jerri ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-31          19334

Jerri, that word clay hit a nerve.... If you have clay IN the road it will NEVER compact properly, it will be like concrete when dry, and like Jello pudding when wet, for ever. Yes, vegetation is an EXCELLENT erosion control method, however if this is a road for everyday use it will also cause you problems, the roots will un-compact the soil as they grow, causing a problem with frost heaving (if you live in a frost-prone area). Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-08-31          19335

Murf, thanks for the input. First the property is located in SW Virginia and not too much of a frost heave problem. Now to the clay, I believe I am stuck with that and my thoughts were to mix lime or calcium cloride with the clay to form a soil cement. I will not be depending on vegetation for erosion control and plan to do my best to rid myself of these weeds. I will cut in some run outs, ditches with a french drain and gravel cover to drain off the road. Lastly, I will place about a 4" layer of crushed stone. I hope this sounds OK, if you have any other ideas, thanks in advance and thanks for your past help.
Jerri ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login