Go Bottom

End of trailer ramp rises under the tractor during loading

View my Photos
john hunter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-01-17          23485

When I try to load my tractor on my new 20 feet trailer, the full ramp rises up just before the rear tractor wheels get on the ramp and catches the rear wheels. The front wheels are on the dovetail. The full ramp has a support bar under it. The rear of the trailer goes down and the ramp comes up. Do I need jacks on the back of the trailer? Thanks John

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-01-17          23486

Jacks would help alot. It will keep the rear of trailer from squating down which in return will raise the end of your ramps. I use a block of wood just the right height so when the trailer is loaded there is no weight on the block. The rear will squat alittle but not enough to cause ramp problems. But with a block you will need to be on level ground to load and unload. ....

View my Photos
Rick

2001-01-17          23488

John, if the wieght of the tractor is enough to push the rearend down while loading then yes you need rear jacks. An easier fix would be to hitchup the trailer to your truck and let the truck offset the ramp. You could also put some wood skids (heavy blocks) under the back of trlr. being sure to block both sides so not to tip left or right. I think its always best to load a trailer after it is hooked up less chance for injuries to me or equipment. ....

View my Photos
Rick Cosman

2001-01-17          23489

OK.. Now that you've told me the trlr. is hooked up I can see it..I think? Sounds like the ramps may be too short or long since the edge is coming up and hitting rear tires before they can roll onto ramp. I still don't see how it can come down that much if its hitched to truck. Blocks may now be the cheapest fix. I'd try the dealer (if you bought from a dealer) if not blocks or rear jacks on each side. ....

View my Photos
charlie

2001-01-17          23493

i used blocks for a long time.i finally went out and bought a pair of cheap jack stands.i welded a flat plate on the bottom of them so they wouldn't sink into the ground.a friend bought two bull dog jacks and mounted on each side and they work well too.one nice thing about the jack setup is you can adjust them on an uneven surface to keep the trailer solid so the tow vehicle doesn't have any stress on it at all.good luck.

View my Photos
Dogman

2001-01-18          23503

The problem is that the weight of the tractor is "pushing" the rear of the trailer down. The vehicle has suspension travel which lets the trailer move up and down. The solution is to use a blocking device (such as jack stands)under the rear of the trailer to keep the trailer from tipping. I don't think that I would trust the trailer ball to hold the trailer from tipping.. ....

View my Photos
kay

2001-01-18          23507

What am I missing here?? The original post indicated the ramps had support bars underneath them. Aren't these support bars to hold the trailer tail up when there is a load on the ramps and on the tail of the trailer? Sounds like these support bars are not placed at the hinge point, allowing them to act as the fulcrum of a "teeter-totter" type ramp. All this discussion about jacks and blocks seem like work. When my ramps are dropped down, the support bar is right there, supporting the trailer tail. There is no way the trailer tail can drop or the ramps tip up ahead of the rear wheels coming to the ramp. Please tell me what, about this, that I am missing. Do I need a slap to the side of the head, or what? ....

View my Photos
Ken

2001-01-18          23508

John sounds like the support legs on the ramps are to far back on the ramps.If the legs come straight down right at the front end of the ramps it might help.
My trailer ramps have no support legs and I have been loading and unloading a 4300 Tractor loader and backhoe real often without problems.But always hooked up the trailor to the truck first.Looks like useing blocks would be tough getting the blocks out after the weight of the tractor is on them.My 2 Pennys Ken ....

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-01-18          23509

I had the same problem. I made some "jack stand" that are permanently attached to my trailer. I got two pieces of heavy-wall pipe, sized so that one just slips inside the other. Welded a short piece of the larger size to each side of the trailer frame as far aft as I could get them. Then I took the smaller size, cut off a couple of pieces about 2 feet long, welded a piece of plate on the bottom for a 'foot'. Picked up the trailer with my FEL and slipped the legs/feet into the larger pipe. Drilled a hole through both pieces with the legs in the full up position. Then I drilled several sets of holes about 2" apart towards the top of the legs. This allows me to pin them in the full up position for travel, and gives me a few choices for the down position if the trailer is not perfectly level. They work super for me.

If you're interested, and this explanation isn't clear enough for ya, email me, I'll try to get a couple of pictures for ya. ....

View my Photos
john hunter

2001-01-18          23510

I think even if the ramp support was at the hinged point, this would still happen. If the ramp support would extend under the rear of the trailer, here I go again, I think this would solve the problem. Thanks to you all ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login