Go Bottom

My JD750 Caught On FIRE

View my Photos
Paul Campanis
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-10          25331

I went out this morning to start my tractor. It was cold so I used the glow plugs. Then it started to smoke, and smoke and smoke. Smoke was billowing out from behind the dash under the steering wheel. My fire extinguisher could not penitrate. I pored water over the fuel cap. That helped a little. Then I pushed in the red electric/batery/oil indicator on the dash and pored water into the hole left in the dash. The fire finally went out. I could never see flames but I could hear the crackling sound. The three lights still work fine. But now the tractor will not start. The starter will not engage. In order to look for the short I need to take the steering wheel off. I took the cap and bolt off and tried pounding it off but it won't budge. There is a collar under the steering wheel. Does that need to come off? Do I need a puller? There did not look like there was any place to attach the puller. I would sure appreciate any help or input. This is a very discouraging situation because I need to finish tilling the field asap.I took some photos:http://www.campanis.com/tractor_fire/

Link:   http://www.campanis.com/tractor_fire/

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

My JD750 Caught On FIRE

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-03-10          25333

I have the JD Shop Manual for my 750. It says pull the cap, back the nut off until it's flush with the end of the steering shaft (so you can tap on the shaft without boogering up the threads) sit on the seat, lift the steering wheel with your knees while tapping on the shaft with a brass drift. Some penetrating oil may help as well.

If you need any help with further disassembly or diagrams or such, let me know, I'll keep the book handy. Email me direct if you like. ....

My JD750 Caught On FIRE

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-03-10          25334

It appears that the steering wheel has 2 holes in it, 180 degrees apart . Are they threaded holes? If so thats where you would attach your puller at. Cars and trucks use the same system to remove their steering wheels. GOOD LUCK! AND LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES!

JIM ....

My JD750 Caught On FIRE

View my Photos
Paul Campanis

2001-03-10          25344

Thanks for all of the input. I bought a puller at Pep Boys for $5 that did the job. It grabbed the steering wheel from underneath. I had to hold it on with a large C clamp. I got the dash off and looked at the chared remains. The switch that runs the option front PTO is what caught on fire. The odd thing is that I don't have a front PTO. I pulled out the burned parts and wires. I found another shorted wire that the plastic insulation had melted on. By sticking a screw driver into the starter connections, I was able to start the tractor and carry on with my tilling. The tachometer and lights don't work when I start it that way. I must have fried something critical in the electrical system. The starter still will not engage with the key. This concerns me as I would have no way of knowing if I lost oil presure. Next time I take it to a mechanic I think I will have them fix it. For now I just will use the screwdriver. Again thanks so much for helping me with your great ideas and input. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login