Go Bottom

Quack Grass

View my Photos
David W. Walker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-21          29475

Every year, I deal with this quack grass that we have in the upper midwest. It's in our 10K sf garden and my field corn food plot. Are there any secrets to killing it?Should I use a cover for a year, like fescue?Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Quack Grass

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-21          29484

I think quack grass grows most every where and is tough to kill. Fescue will not get rid of it. I would go to a farm fertilizer or spray company and see what might be available in your area. ....

Quack Grass

View my Photos
Terry Senay

2001-06-21          29490

go to yahoo url://www.yahoo.com and perform a search with the string "quack grass" (include the double quotes) and a wealth of information will be available to you. LOL. ....

Quack Grass

View my Photos
BillBass

2001-06-21          29492

Try your local county extension agent. He will be able to give you information specific to your local area. ....

Quack Grass

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-06-21          29499

Excuse my curtness, but does it matter if you have weeds in a wildlife food plot? Is quakgrass so pervasive that it will overtake corn? ....

Quack Grass

View my Photos
charlie

2001-06-21          29503

1quart of round up in 120 gallons of water per acre.good luck. ....

Quack Grass

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-21          29508

Aroound where I live it is common practice for landscapers to use "winter rye" in all none turf areas. This causes vegatation that looks exactly like quack grass to invade all lawn areas. The seeds for winter rye look like small beans and are very difficult to remove. Unfortunately, roundup seems to be the only solution. ....

Quack Grass

View my Photos
Murf

2001-06-22          29518

David, we use a very low-tech approach to this problem in the golf-course industry, no chemicals. Either a propane torch (a big one, 200,000+ btu) or VERY hot water. Probably the easiest for someone with no experience is the hot water. Take a short piece of plastic pipe about 6"d. x 4"l. (a 6" coupler works great), set it over the stem of the plant and press down into the soil lightly, then pour in about a cup of water, as hot as you can manage. The scalding water kills the feeder roots and in turn the plant, but will cool off before it can damage anything else. Once you have cleared everything else out you will either have to manually keep the area clean or plant some other ground cover to keep it out. Best of luck. ....

Quack Grass

View my Photos
grader40

2001-06-26          29625

Just curious if you have ever taken the time to see how much of a root system quackgrass has on it. It is not unusual for quackgrass to have rhizomes that is 20 or more feet running and sometimes at least a foot underground. The way that has worked best for me is to use roundup on the entire area, keeping it dead for at least 6 weeks longer if you can stand it. I used to have problems like this in wildflower beds, after a few years the quack would move in. I would kill the entire bed, burn it off, then water it to bring back the seeds, kill it again, then use a soil sterilant, tarping for a week. even after all that, a few years later, the quack would come back in, birds poop it in the bed, rodents carry it in, mowers blow it in.....who knows but it does come back after time. have a look at this site might help...good luck with boiling water on quackgrass ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login