Go Bottom

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
john hunter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-10-19          32549

Has anyone considered a "ship cargo container" for storage of their tractor? I purchased a nice one with a special lock for $1500. It is 8 feet high, 20 feet long, and 8 feet wide. I think I will purchase another one and connect them with a roof in between so I can store my implements.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
TomG

2001-10-20          32550

Somebody near here got one last year and likes it a lot, although he doesn't use it for a tractor. Seems like a very good solution, and one that doesn't require a building permit most places. Several of them could end up being my solution. A railroad may claim a wide 'management corridor' that includes where I want to put an equipment shed, and that might prevent us from getting a building permit. Shipping containers seems better for storage than many other types of temporary structures that could be used and are probably cheaper as well. My only comment is that the doors on most equipment sheds are on sides so implements can be moved in and out individually. A container that has a door only in one end might require a lot of equipment juggling if most implements are used fairly frequently. I would think about ventilation carefully if the tractor is going to be started inside the container. ....

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
Farmer Giles

2001-10-20          32560

Where did you get the container? ....

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
TomG

2001-10-21          32569

John probably will provide a specific answer. The person I mention is a part-timer around so I don't see him regularly to ask him. I believe that containers of this size are called intermodal containers. They are standard and also come in 40' and longer lengths. The same containers are carried on ships, trains and transport trucks. There are companies that sell, rent and lease containers, and big city yellow pages probably have ads . A web search under 'cargo containers' or intermodal containers' will turn up a few companies. I believe the trick is to find a rental/leasing company that is rotating their stock and selling off some of their 'more-used' containers. I think that ‘containers’ is a pretty big business, and for all I know, there may be companies that deal entirely in used containers. ....

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
john hunter

2001-10-21          32581

Farmer Giles. The company is National trailer Rental. Do a search on "Transport international pool" for a location near you. I tried to find the "800 number. It is my understanding that a lot of these containers come in around the end of the year. I am in North Carolina, the company is located about eight miles from me, they have plenty of all types of containers. ....

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2001-10-21          32588

Transport International Pool was a division of Gelco Leasing which was sold to General Electric a few years ago. I'm not sure if GE still owns them or not. They leased the equipment to move the containers on land. The Gelco division which made, owned and leased the land/sea/air containers was called Container Transport International (CTI), I believe. I do know that Transport Pool was headquartered in Bala Cynwyd, PA and can be reached at 800-233-2030. I hope this helps. ....

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-22          32604

We put one in at our hunt camp a few years back after we got fed up at arriving to find most of or stuff had either developed legs, or been dragged about by the widlife, 2 legged or 4. We haven't had a problem since, we leave the place unlocked and a note to anyone who may use it, its near a major snowmobile trail and gets used as an emergency shelter by breakdown victims, to leave it as found or better, they have so far. Best of luck. ....

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
CaseyR

2001-10-22          32610

Surplus cargo containers come in a aluminum or steel and in a variety of lengths. They are also available insulated and with wheels (but I don't know what type of wheels - I was told that the one I inquired about buying came with wheels, but I didn't follow up on it). The Yellow pages here in Portland, OR, lists half a dozen outfits under "cargo containers". Doing a Google search on the Internet will give you lots of links, but most of them are for rental for shipping. The one I have listed below is one that I happened to have bookmarked, but I haven't dealt with them at all: ....

Link:   cargo container website

Ship Cargo Container

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-24          32652

Murf;
I containers prevent breakins then I have the solution to all our theft problems. See the link below. Canadians have a solution for all problems, they just might not be that practical. Again my object is to solve all the theft problems at Possum Lodge. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login