Go Bottom

hours

View my Photos
BIGBOY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-02          45612

I'm new to all this tractor stuff. And looking to buy a used compact, I'm just wondering about the amount of hours on different tractors I've looked at! If you were buying a used truck of let's say 7 or 8 years old then 150,000 miles would be about average. What about the hours on a tractor? What would someone (on the average) put on a tractor in a year?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hours

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-02          45615

I'd figure a 100-hours/year or less is typical for people who use a compact to maintain property. More than that starts sounding like cash agriculture, commercial work or a rental.

It's difficult to generalize from hours to condition on tractors because they can be put so many different uses. A tractor that spent its hours doing finish mowing might be a bargain at twice the hours compared to one that spent it's hours doing heavy loader work. It's good to get a sense of the tractor's work from the previous owner.

I bought a 15-year old tractor and it had 485 hours on it. I don't think it should be too difficult to find something around there on the market. With my tractor, I'm not expecting any major repairs till around 1,500 when the clutch might start complaining. Figure injector and hydraulic pump work around 2,500 and engine work around 5,000 or more. Of course, these hours are assuming good maintenance. Poor maintenance can really take the life out of a tractor, so it's good to get a sense of how a tractor was cared for.

Even within these norms, there's always failure from abuse--intentional or otherwise. It's a good idea to figure a $1000 budget or so curing the 'dread previous owner' factor. Mine was a 4wd linkage that broke inside the cases. The operating lever had been broken off and welded back on so I should have suspected some abuse. With a used tractor there's likely always something.

hours

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-02          45616

If a used tractor has had to make a paycheck for someone than the hours will be higher. The books say 350 per year for an average to figure a higher book value for low hours. ....

hours

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-12-02          45656

suggest you talk to the seller about the hours on a tractor you're interested in. what kind of hours? a lot of my tractor's hours are not hard work. i tend to let the tractor idle while i dither around hooking up attachments. mowing is high rpm, low load hours.
HST's tend to be run at a constant rpm, while gear models are run with an accelerator -- so what's the effect on a diesel?
A few factors to look into.
jim ....

hours

View my Photos
BIGBOY

2002-12-02          45657

Thanks for the info..... ....

hours

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-03          45678

Hours are not always hours.
I used my Deere 4100 for eighteen months and built up 70 hours.
My new BX22 has 40 hours in 3 months with the same rate of usage.
The 4100 only records a full hour on the meter at full rated rpm, and it is a gear trans so I only ran it as fast as it needed to get the job done.

The Kubota records a full hour regardless of the engine speed. If the 4100 had the same metering system as the Kubota it would probably read 240 hours not 70.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login