Go Bottom

Where to start

View my Photos
dutchhenry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-29          60432

This site helped me get my tractor now I need some more HELP. Have 5 ac. of almost flat land and need to start getting it ready to landscape. Mostly going to plant trees and grass I guess. Have small/medium size rocks and lots of weeds. Do I start with rock rake, box scraper or what?

Thanks

Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Where to start

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-30          60434

Bill

Mostly it will depend on "How finished" you want or need the area.

But here goes: If it was me. I would mow the weeds, use, whatever I have bucket or boxscraper or round point shovel, to move out, ONLY, the rocks sticking up. Overseed it (you will be amazed at how much good quality grass lies, waiting, below the weeds), lime it(depends on your soil mine would need lime and still does), apply some 10-10-10 fertilizer, mow it no shorter than 3-4" for a season or so ( I still mow mine 2.75-3.5) spot treat problem weeds and enjoy.

OR you can plow, disc, harrow/drag, back blade, pick rocks till the great grand children show up, seed, fertilize, lime and roll.

Good luck and have fun Harvey ....

Where to start

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-30          60437

Box scrapers are sort of the Swiss Army Knives of landscapers. They'll do most things but maybe not as well or easy as several specialized implements. But you need these things usually if you're moving a fair bit of soil around from one place to another, re-grading etc.

As illustration of what Harvey mentioned: We have a camp on a property hadn't been lived in for a few years and then my wife used it a bit in the summer for some years. She likes meadows and wild flowers more than lawn. When we moved closer and started using the place regularly we started mowing mostly to keep the bugs down. Funny thing was that by the end of the first summer the meadow has turned into grass. What you get to a large extent depends on how often it's cut.

Where to start

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-30          60445

I will tell you the same as those before me. Start mowing and the grass will come. Pick the stones and start working towards your end goal. ....

Where to start

View my Photos
dutchhenry

2003-07-30          60447

Thank you all for the replys and the suggestions as to what to do. I just took off the mower to try the other tools that came with the tractor. Guess I will head out and put the mower back on and get started with the weed cutting. Then the rock rake if it will work with what I have out there laying on the ground and then something to kind of smooth the whole thing out.

Thanks again for the HELP.

Bill ....

Where to start

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-31          60513

The smoothing idea has been discussed before but I don't remember subject titles for an archive search.

The basic idea is that use of ground engaging implements will tear up what sod is there and if overburden is left on top it will kill what gets buried. It is feasible to remove sod from low areas or maybe cut it up fine with a tiller and then prepare a seedbed to grade. If the problem is extensive and surface rocks have to be removed as well, starting over may be easier.

I believe that Murf pointed out that a fair bit of top-dressing can be applied to lawns without killing the grass underneath. If that's done each year, mild low spots eventually level out. A heavy roller used when some soils are saturated may help lower high spots as well. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login