Go Bottom

What deere do not like to eat

View my Photos
XdeereGuy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-19          34724

So far I have found that deer don't eat most ornamental grasses like maiden hair grass(most varieties), and many other grasses like blue fescue etc.In leaf or even needle based plants, forget flowers, that's where my luck gets thin. I have had good luck with douglas fir, blue spruce or any spruce like plant. They eat blue atlas cedar, white pine, and juniper ugh! Anything softer they take to like a salt lick.If any of you have plants that seem to be deer resistant let me know. My wife and I have about given up on nursery tags that say "deer proof" , bull. The deer always seem to devour those right off :0(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-20          34769

Can't suggest any particular plants. Deer do browse most things but avoid grass. If the problem is landscaping near a house, a dog keeps them in check about as well as anything. That's the usual solution around here. Just giving up and planting enough for the deer too is another solution. Trying fences gets into old country jokes about whether you've got 8' deer or 10' deer in your area. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-20          34790

Sound like drastic deer over population to me. Looks like you may need something to eat the deer.
Spraying things with pepper slows them down, but I agree that you need something to scare them away.
This does not always work but at least the will only go for the irresistable not the 4th course. I have had dogs since I have lived here but the deer still are drawn to the persimmons when falling. We just end up woken up a lot at night as the dogs bark. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-21          34810

Something to scare them away? Well, that's not a friend and his brother. His wife found them sitting on the porch one morning. They were jawing away while watching the deer munch away at her garden. As I understand, the wife became the scary thing. Don't know where their dog was at the time. This is a dog that chases bears (at least as long as the bear keeps running). Dogs don't always work either. Electric fences get mixed reviews.

The thing about deer is that it's good if they browse on crops--well maybe somebody’s crops at least. They end up turning into gourmet delicacies compared to the bush fed deer around here.

At least I can't blame the deer for a complete loss of our garden sweet corn this year. It was raccoons that stripped the husks back on each ear and ate all the corn while leaving the bare cobs still on the stocks. Wonderful creatures, those raccoons, and so cute too. I’m not real fond of eating the local deer myself, but I might become fond of local raccoon if we loose another corn crop.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-21          34817

A retired teacher from Peterbough Ont once related his problem with the coons and corn.
He put an electric fence around the patch and watched the first night. Momma coon came in and lifted the fence a little and the little ones slipped in, while he watched. He thought they were congradulating him on the security system on their patch to keep the dogs and deer out.
He added lights to illuminate the patch. He went out and they seem to be applauding him at the improved light to eat by.
He turned the radio on the patch. He watched and they seemed to be enjoying the mood music to munch by.
Finnally in frustration he got on the tractor and plowed the corn under. If he wasn't going to get any corn neither were they. ....

View my Photos
XdeerGuy

2002-01-21          34818

I have a 100 pound Chocolate Labrador and while he is true to his breed in friendliness, he ain't deer friendly.

If he smells em he barks, most times, and gives em a good run.

But other times he seems to be a pacifist, a just lays there looking at the whole herd just 30 feet from him, as if they have called a truce for the time being and all is well and balanced with nature.

And the dog is not out all the time anyway.

So nope the dog don't cut it.

What I tell my wife is forget flowers and schrubs, just plant the oranamental grasses ;o)

View my Photos
TheWDCTexan

2003-02-06          48784

Here in Maryland deer seem to eat everything but weeds and grass. We use several sprays like DeerAway that seem to work but they smell like a skunk buried in 9 day old fish entrails. You do NOT want that stuff on you. It rains off BUT it works. But I would not put it near the house.

I have also put chicken wire flat on the ground around my orchard - they will jump the 3' but seem to go around the 6 foot - not sure why. Rock salt in a shot gun works for awhile but you have to repeat about every two weeks - deer are dumb. GOOD LUCK. ....

View my Photos
George in VT

2003-02-07          48839

Up here in Vermont, I heard another option. For our garden, we use 8lb. test fishing line. About 10+ feet around the preimeter of the garden. String fishing line about 3 feet high all around garden. When deer come near, they are usually walking. The fish line touches their chest and deters them. It worked to keep the deer out of our garden, doesn't seem to help with the rabbits though. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-15          49305

sounds like nobody likes deer here i myself plant just for them as i like watchin them and taking pics,i also like to harvest a couple in the fall, feeds family well ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-19          49582

Plots, I do the same, in fact I have a dedicated second property for it. about four years ago we finally coughed up the cash to landscape the yard. I never, ever never never ever drempt that I would pay that much for shrubs trees dirt, ahh I mean soil, rock trees etc. etc. etc. Four months later we had a major snow storm, the deer came out of the metro park across the street and would walk right up the sidewalk muching all of my yews..grrrrr. I finally decided just to buy shelled corn and feed em',it was a heck of a lot cheaper. In following years I reverted to whizzin in a pepsi bottle and did my own territory marking. Don't laugh it worked a thousand times better tan all of the chemical sprays etc that I had Purchased. This year I have acouple 1.5 year olds that come every night. The little buck has figured out how to get the bird seed out of the feeders. He walks up, gets the feeder hanging down the side of his face and nuzzles it shakeing the corn and seed out and on to his very busy tongue. The answear, well, shelled corn is a heckuva lot cheaper than bird seed...lol ....

View my Photos
bullworker

2003-02-19          49583

with all the snow this year the deer seem to be pretty hungry, the ones in the back yard the last couple of days have had some grapes and some oranges a bag of apples and just tonight a tuna sandwich. one has actualy bedded down off the deck waiting for more. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-21          49687

Plots, What do you plant and how much ? I plante about 1/4 acre of rye, and another 1/4 of mixed clovers last fall. I cut all winter and I am haveing my main field dozed this spring to a full acre plus two other 1 acre sections. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-21          49693

I plant alfa-rack, whitetail clover. on 1.5acer plot expanding to 4 acers this spring also working 1acre area for winter wheat for this fall. deer really induldge, and the farmers like it to as it makes great hay for there cattle. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-21          49694

Hey we might have to change this to " what deer do like to eat". feed them right and they'll leave the shrubs and flowers alone.LOL. I am going to try the Alfa rack this year. I had poor performance with the bio logic compared to the the results of The Whitail Institute products. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-21          49718

i had both products planted at once but went to all whitetale stuff as the deer were walking right through bio. to get to alpha rack.they seemed to quit eating bio altoghter so i replaced it clover that fall, now they bomb it. PS make sure ph is at 6.5 or above and i think you'll really like the results of alpha rack. deer love it! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-21          49734

I had the same experience except I was useing Bio Logic and White Tail Institute no plow, Which is pretty darn funny considering it needs a lot of soil contact and the only way it grows well is to till, hech read the directions close. This year I'm useing alfa rack. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-21          49745

ya i used no plow also its ok but must replant ever season and doesn't make hay. get ph right and the alpha and clover will last at least 3 years, sometimes more.from what i can see the deer really like the alpha the best. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-22          49750

Well its 2 am and there are so many deer in my back yard I cant count em all. I think my Ph came back from Michigan State at 6.8. I did fertilize and ad some lime but I need to add pot ash. This year I did a lot of supplemental feeding with shelled corn but just before deer season I had a couple of Black Bears move in and the deer cleared right out. Now those trouble makers will put ya in the poor house eatin all the bait. We have had a couple of mild winters here and its visible in the heard. I can't see a single one out the right now thats over 2. ....

View my Photos
wdbg1046

2003-03-06          50626

TAKE A COUPLE OF TBL 'S OF DISH DETERGENT, PUT IT IN A GALLON OF WATER AND SPRAY ON YOUR PLANTS AND BUSHES ETC. IT WILL KEEP THE DEER AWAY AND HELP THE BUSHES AND TREES. THE SOAP KEEPS THE DRY WINTER WINDS FROM DRYING OUT THE PLANT. USE IT IN SPRING AND SUMMER AND IT WILL KILL APHIDS AND OTHER INSECTS WHILE KEEPING THE DEER AWAY. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-10          82683

One thing I found that they dont digest too well is
7mm-08. I like to plant it between the neck and the rib cage, works really well to keep the deer from eating.
OOPS!!!! Did I say that? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-04-11          82715

Another thought: Stop by your local dog groomer and get a bag of dog hair mix it in with the mulch. It is suspose to work. But I can not say for certain. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-04-11          82764

One more on that note is My dad use to stop at the barber shop and pick up a bag or two of Human hair from the days trimmings. He would then put it in Moms old knee high stockings and tie them to the lower branches of our apple and pear trees in the fall. It actually worked well, I think primarily because it was the smell of different people all the time. He refreshed it about once every two weeks. I am sure mixing in the mulch, or spreading around under the flowers would work as well. ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-04-12          82861

Being a second generation landscaper I can tell you that, quite honestly, short of metal, plastic or concrete the hungry white tail deer will eat just about anything that grows including those shrubs, grasses, small trees, and flowers that are touted as being deer "resistant." Despite trying all of the remedies listed by all who responded, the only limited success I've had has been through the systematic application of either Bobex or bobcat/mountain lion yearn.

Works for a while, but if it rains, the half ton rabbits are back at it over night. The most effective method of keeping deer from the plants are tall fences (over six feet), deer netting, shotgun (12 ga), rifle (.223 up), and M1 Abrams tank (preferably driven over the deer).

I designed and built a Zen Garden for a client using an Acer palmatum dissectum (Japanese lace leaf maple) of specimen size costing seven thousand dollars. While most deer eschew the Jap maples, one chewed it-right down to the trunk. Nothing is sacred to these pests! ....

View my Photos
unit5alive

2004-04-25          84199

We have had great success with putting shavings of Irish Spring soap around plants and shrubs,no more problems! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login