Go Bottom

Paw Paw prose and cons

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-16          38687

My son is all fired up about planting Pawpaw. We had some on the property in KY but they never bore fruit, or at least I never found them.

Has anyone grown pawpaw in the group and what are the problems in growing them?

The KYU link is below for those that want to know more about them.

Link:   Paw paw link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Paw Paw prose and cons

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-17          38711

Don't know, but it sounds like a done deal and hope you eventually enjoy the pawpaws.

If you had pawpaws growing and no fruit then maybe there was only one variety growing. I took a quick scan through the site and noticed that pawpaws may be like blue berries. You need at least two varieties to get fruit.

In a similar idea to the KSU site, this will be the third year for our saskatoon bush. Saskatoons are mostly found in Western Canada. Here we have several varieties of cousins to the saskatoon called service berries. A horticultural club in town promoted the idea of planting saskatoons around here to mix and match with the local service berries. I wonder if our saskatoon will give us at least a blossom this year.

Paw Paw prose and cons

View my Photos
PawPaw
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-17          38716

I have planted over 50 paw paw and only two have survived here in Ohio. Paw Paw trees grow well around rivers and moist areas. The don't like direct sun when they are young. They can take several year to start bearing their mango looking fruit that taste like bananas. I currently have two that have survived that are located next to the woods in a very moist area "Well drained"

Good Luck! ....

Paw Paw prose and cons

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-17          38721

Do they like the acid under the trees, ie can I plant next to pine? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login