Go Bottom

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-02          52433

I am clearing about 1 acre on my property to plant apple trees for the deer. bear and grouse. Does anyone have any experience with apple trees ? I do not know how many to plant or really any thing at all about apple trees fertilizeing, care etc.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
BeeFarmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-02          52436

If you are feeding the deer you won't have to worry about pruning.. The deer will take care of that for you. I have about 150 fruit trees.. and feeding deer is exactly what I do not want to do...

You need to be more specific about the area you live and the size trees you are interested in. ....

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-02          52442

Doc, one of the problems you might encounter is keeping the young trees alive long enough to grow out of reach of the browsing population.

We are in the 5th year of a drought cycle out west which makes it even worse.

Most of my rose bushes are dead nubs and the deer even ate the tops of the potato plants last fall.

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-04-02          52447

My property is in northern lower michigan. USDA zone 5. I would like to plant trees as large as I can manage to plant by hand. Cost is not a concern on the trees for larger specimens. I don't know if you are referring to how large they will grow in the end. I would like something that I can spray standing in the back of a pick up or on my 2210. ....

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-04-02          52485

Doc, I probably haven't planted more than a couple dozen trees in my life. As a kid I remember an older gent telling that if you wanted to make sure a new tree lived to dig the hole deep enough to put a five gallon bucket of oats in the hole under the root ball. I really don't remember if every tree I planted with the oats in the hole lived, but I'll bet it was 90%. I really think that all the oats did was soak up moisture for the little roots to survive on, so for what it's worth that's my spiel. ....

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-04-02          52486

Dddoc, I don't know what happened to the rest of my post,but anyway I was told as a kid to dig the hole deep enough to put five gallons of oats under the root ball when you planted the tree and it would'nt starve for miosture. I've had pretty good luck doing that. ....

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-27          55701

I am still working on this project. It seems that every time I get to my priperty I have some minor mechanical failure or I do something stupid like forget something, oops, that leaves me working on a project other than I planned on. I hope to have this area dozed this summer and get trees in the ground next spring. I am still after basic orchard info. tree sapaceing, spraying etc. If anyone knows any sites with info they would be greatly appreciated. ....

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-27          55704

http://na.fs.fed.us/pubs/misc/ir/ try this ....

Apple tree Planting

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-10          82685

Misinplace
Try Michigan sportsman on a search and register then go to "wildlife habitat" Anuthing you need to learn about foods plots etc. they will help with. I am from Wis. but they treat me like I am one of their own. Good people there and lots of info. Alos buy Ed spins book, "foodplots easy as 1,2,3" Its a great starter for learning food plots, he is a master.
Good luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login