Go Bottom

Painting

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-06          85421

I am rebuilding my tractor. It is a 9n/8n hybred so collector value is not there. I am having fun doing it and maybe will keep it when done so I am doing a job on it like I am keeping it not just chopping it together and dumping it. Now since this tracor will eventually be back in the field working I am not having a pro finish paint on it. Doing it myself and it is looking very nice in fact I sand blasted the whole darn thing after taking it all apart. My question to you all (And I know it is not that important, just want anouther view point) I dont like the red that was original on the 8n, (Too orangy) for me. So I have gone with more of a RED red. I have started to paint the grey and am using a 9N grey (a bit darker than the 8n). You think this is cool or stupid? Go with a red for the 8n representation and a darker grey for the 9n representation? The paint job is coming out really nice
(for using rustoleum proffesional paints) any way. I cant believe how good it looks. Also I have been told that if I spray a clear on it that it tends to crack? Is this true? I am putting way too much money into this if I am going to sell it, but atleast I can sell it feeling good about myself and also will have the pictures (IF I SELL) My wife wants me too LOL Gee I wonder why? she tells me I have too many toys in her spot in the garage! Time to buils a bigger garage I told her!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Painting

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-06          85428

Most people will never know the difference in the paint colors. Only the purists, and their heads will have already popped off when they see it is a 8/9N hybrid :-) I say paint it what makes you happy, I think the first priority is to prevent rust. As long as you don't go and paint it JD Green.
We have a 800 series that was originally red/grey that somebody did a pretty nice blue/white paint job on. I guess to make it look like a later model. Dad and I talk about painting it the original scheme, but the color change looks pretty good, so doubt we ever will.
My Farmall got a coat of industrial paint with hardener, in International Red, only it is MUCH more red than was original. I like it, though. Plus, it matches one of the Rustoleum reds pretty well, so I can use the spray can for touch up.
I have seen some nice looking paint can jobs, I guess their biggest drawback is they fade and lose their shine. We did clear coat some of the grey on an 8N a couple of years ago, and it still looked good the last time I looked at it. I don't know why the clear coat would crack if the surface was prepared well and was sprayed properly. Might help with the fading.
Good luck,
Bill ....

Painting

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-05-07          85444

Brokenarrow; If it's only to prevent rust and for your own use use the original Ford paint and the primer they recommend, and paint it yourself for basicly the cost of the paint and decals. I've painted a tractor or two. the first thing I learned is that brand X thinner won't work with brand Y paint, I had green cottage cheese using a generic thinner in JD paint. My painting skills are good enough to prevent rust and have it look good from the road, but on my collector tractors I have it professionaly done using the correct primer, original paint and a hardner. The only time the collector tractors are in the sunshine is for a parade or a show otherwise they are inside. My what I'll call maintinence paint jobs soon fade and look kinda tough but they are protecting the machune. Frank. ....

Painting

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-07          85452

Brokenarrow, If you store it out of the sun you shouldn't have any trouble with paint fading, even with less expensive paints. A properly applied colorcoat/clearcoat will not crack. All new vehicles are painted that way now.

Clearcoats got the reputation for cracking on lacquer jobs. To get that deep look you sprayed many coats of clear laquer with sanding and rubbing on each coat. The lacquer didn't always have the flexibility needed for cold weather and could crack in the winter, especially if it was thick.

Just do what looks good to you. It will always be your classic :-)
Dave ....

Painting

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-07          85456

I agree, go with what ever you please.

Sometimes there is a good reason for colour changes, I have a couple of neighbours at the lake with old tractors for chore work.

One repainted his completely white and made white canvas covers for the tires to keep the sun off them, when I asked him why white his reply was pure logic. He leaves the tractor out back all year and the only time he is not around is in the dead of winter, camoflage, and when he runs it up and down the road in the summer he is concerned about being visible, and white sure stands out against dark trees.

The other one painted his MF tractor AC orange, when I asked why his answer was even more logical, "It was on sale when I went to get paint.". Tough to argue with reasoning like that, I'm just glad they didn't have flourescent pink paint on sale.

Best of luck. ....

Painting

View my Photos
jpatmac67

2004-05-07          85503

hello brokenarrow , saw your profile and noticed you started a food plot can you give me some info on what you did to get
started ? looks like you know what your doin, Iam a first
timer on this thanks ,john ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login