Go Bottom

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
JeffHK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-05          117440

I have a 2K F350 SRW crew cab 4x4 with 7.3. I , as most post 99 SD owners have had to put unit-hubs and ball joints on my crappy Dana50/60. Now , my question , after about 6 months of not putting my truck into 4wd I need some extra traction and flipped my switch for 4wd and got nothing. This truck has the little switch on the dash for shift on the fly/auto hubs.The vacuum seems to working but the hubs don't ingage unless you manualy turn them. For the people that have this system how hard are these hubs to turn? Could they just need a good lube job?
Thanks Jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-06          117461

Sounds like those much-loved unit hubs are due to be changed ..... again.

We have (and have had) several of those trucks, while none of them had anything but strictly manual hubs, there is considerably more force required to engage or disengage the hubs when they are worn.

If the hubs are 'normal' there SHOULD only be enough force required to turn them that they could easily be actuated with a couple of finger tips.

Best of luck. ....

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-06          117475

Jeff - how many miles on your truck? I've got the 2000 F-250 SD 4x4 with 7.3 L. I was pissed about the ball joints too. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I haven't had problems with auto 4x4 system yet. I last used it in spring for an "incident" that tore the hell out of the lawn. As I'm headed into winter, I'd like to hear more about your problem to see if I need to be concerned. ....

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-06          117477

I've heard that not using the auto hubs regularly will lead to trouble. I use the auto hubs on my 4x4 Ranger daily to get to the main road and at 100k miles they still work fine. They're about the only thing on that truck that hasn't broke yet (knock on wood). ....

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
JeffHK5

2005-10-06          117481

My truck has 86K for miles . It also has a 6" sup. lift and 35" BFG MT's. I have put the truck on stands and the unit-hubs seem to be in good shape.

Could I get one of my fellow SD owners with auto hubs to give them a turn from auto to lock and back and give me an estimate of the effort needed to do so? Mine are hard to turn!

Thanx, Jeff ....

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-06          117482

As a rule of thumb we 'plan' on replacing the hubs about every 60k. miles (100k. km) on our trucks.

The units that also snowplow go through hubs about every 50k. miles.

Since the units are sealed, with no means of service or lube and the bearings are not replaceable there is no other choice really.

But then our trucks work pretty hard too.

Best of luck. ....

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-07          117521

I just checked mine and they are fairly stiff. I could get it to turn, but took good effort with one hand. I have 132k miles. ....

2000 SD Auto hubs

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-10-19          136058

One of my hubs turns harder than the other , I engage the 4x4 knob once a month just to keep everything working properly , and no problems so far . ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login