Go Bottom

My oppinion on my new 2002 f250 4x4

View my Photos
ob1kubota
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-27          35009

Well I couldnt resist all the good financing out their so I sold my trusty 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 extracab long bed with a cummings engine and auto,This could haul a loaded 20 ft trailer well ,without a trailer I could get 21 mpg on a long highway ride,I bought a f250 ex cab short bed,a 5.4 engine 4:10 gearing,tow package,plowpackage,The truck is nice but fair on towing,I just put on a K & N air intake kit and a Jardine cat-back exhaust ,It has seemed to of woken up but I havnt pulled a trailer since the mods,Theirs suppose to be a 45 horse gain and 15% better milage,I also ordered a computer chip kit for it good for another 22 horse,im not looking for a race truck just 1 that will handel a heavy trailer up some of those Vermont hills,The truck is good and proubally has enough power for most people,The 3 mods to the truck proubally cost around 900.00,I have been thinking I should of bought a diesel!!again,I wanted a break from the noise and the winter warm up,Oh well their always the next truck

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tgello

2002-01-27          35014

ob1,have you come to the dark side? i was wondering what you thought when you went from diesel to gas? the power strokes seem quieter than the dodges, other than cold starts. let me know how it tows a trailer. was thinking about a 250sd diesel but was considering gas.tgello ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-27          35021

We just bought a F250 4x4 extended cab Turbo-diesel...Its actually a work truck for us. Nice machine; but not quite the pep and smooth ride as the '95 model with the full time turbo and independent front suspension. Compared to the '95 model, this one has much nicer doors plus it has air bags. And we got this one with 390 rear gears rather than the 4.10:1. ....

View my Photos
Give the 7.3 a kick!

2002-01-29          35061

Rodger
Their are several companies out their that make components to help out the diesel,100 horsegain,70lbs of tork and 20% better fuel economy,they say it will not void the wattanty,it will run 8-900,usaully the kits will have a modified chip,a air intake kit,a 45 min add on and a cat back exhaust another 45 min add on,in a couple hours on the weekend you can realy wake it up...If I only still had my diesel.............. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-29          35065

The noise level of the diesels is deceptive. The dealer I bought from was a Ford and Dodge dealer. In 2000 he had the Dodge 3500 Quad cab and a Ford 3500 crew cab. Both were fully loaded, so the insulation level should be at their highest level. As they were sitting side by side and were of similar cost I drove them on after another and twice each. Interestingly the Ford was quieter from the out side but noisier inside. The Cunnings six has a deeper tone to the rattle. I bought the Dodge for the Cummings engine and after having a F150 (97) I had not desire to go back to the twin I beam road wandering (83 F250, 68 Mercury 250). ....

View my Photos
Corm

2002-01-31          35129

Did the K&N filter and the Jardine exhaust add any / much noise to your rig? I have a 2000 SD 250 with a V10. I use it to haul a 28' fifth wheel amongst other things. My wife and I are planning on a 2500 mile trip with the camper this summer. I would like some more power (you never have enough....), but I don't want it to be any / much louder than it is. Would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Corm ....

View my Photos
shifty

2002-01-31          35133

The K&N Airintake kit did give the engine some more noise noiced oppon heavy accelleration,reminds me of my old 440 with the thermoquad 4 barrel carb,those secondarys would open up when you mash the petal,away she went but you did hear it,you did gair some exhaust noise only a few db higher in the cab,alittle noisier when under heavy throttel,I did exchange to jardine exhaust for the gibson due to compatability with my year truck,But I will say It did make a noticable difference
havnt towed yet,nor have I recieved the chip kit yet which is good for some extra power,good luck ....

View my Photos
Kevin

2002-03-05          36097

Why did you waste your time with the V8. For $500 you could have put the V-10 in your rig. I'm on my second super duty with a V-10 and love it! I would never go back to a stinky, noisey diesel, been there done that! ....

View my Photos
ob1kubota

2002-03-07          36171

I do alot of city driving and the thought of 10 cylinders and the gas milage made me cringe,I did speak to someone who told me that the v10 got better milage because it doesnt work as hard,It makes sence but then again,he was the sales men and I know they sometimes stretch the truth,The chip kit and the K and N kit did improve the towing power and milage,Ive got 9200 miles on it since november.
I figure the way im going Ill consider something else in another year or two while its still worth something and the miles arnt to high,What do you get for gas milage?How many miles do you have on the truck?How does it pull?Mines been good to me but it sure works hard pulling up those long hills ....

View my Photos
Mike C.

2002-03-09          36212

I have a 2002 F250 Xtra cab V-8 and have read with interest your mods to the truck. I may have to pull a 9000lb trailer on short trips eventually. I do notice the truck seems like it will probably need the boost for that kind of load. Gas mileage was my first consideration on the V-8 choice. So far for moving such a heavy truck I am satisfied with the mileage. I'd guess around 15mpg but will do a check right off. I don't seem to use anymore gas than my old 300-6 2wd did. I've owned the 0ld 460 big block that got 6mpg. A friend with the dodge V-10 didn't like his mileage. My family sold Fords (not me) and they didn't recommend the V-10 unless you were going to move mountains. The mileage is generally terrible. Save for the thousands difference in cost for the diesel I love the truck though. ....

View my Photos
Corm

2002-03-11          36248

I get about 15 mpg with my V10 going back and forth to work. I have a manual 5 speed, 373 rear end. Pulling my 10k lb camper, I get about 9 mpg.

Corm ....

View my Photos
Knapper

2002-05-26          39071

I have a 2001 ford 250sd powerstroke diesel extended cab 4x4. And My Grand parents have a 2001 silverado hd with the durmax and both seem to be pretty even when pulling a trailer. Before this truck I had a 98 F250 with the 5.4 and there is no comparison to the diesel. We usually tow a 30ft gooseneck loaded with tractors. And the Diesel is alot better way to go. were probably only pulling like 900lbs with them, but i know people who have towed loads that would make a semi grunt with thier Fords. I am still skeptical on the Duramax. My dads 94 Chevy with the 6.5 turbo was hardly reliable. But i guess we will see

View my Photos
knapper

2002-05-26          39072

That was 9000lbs

View my Photos
danfay

2002-12-19          46318

I'm with Kevin!
I also own a V10 and have nothing but good to say. I pull several trailers and it does great. Pulled a heavy 28ft travel trailer through NC mountains passing people on the way. It likes it fuel, but not that much more than my 92 351 Ford, plus I get much better working preformance! ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-19          46320

ob1,

What were you thinking!?!?! We all make mistakes. Maybe you can still find a 2002 Dodge Cummins HO 4 x 4. :) They were offering 0% for 60 months and at or below invoice. Don't forget the Farm Bureau $500 rebate! I got the a 2002 Cummins HO and LOVE it! Great milage and very reliable.....not to mention a sleeper when you drop the hammer on the throttle. It is hard to settle for anything else when you have had the best isn't it? ;) Hope it works out for you. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login