Go Bottom

Harbor Frt Greyhound engines

View my Photos
danwhitworth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-29          167793

Flyer from HF has a 5.5hp vertical shaft EPA certified engine for $100. Before Hurricane Katrina Briggs carb rebuild was $50 now $150. Can anyone comment on these engines. Thanks Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-29          167794

Dan how far are you from actual destruction zone? I know many on the coast saw their insurance climb 10 times what is was pre-K. It follows that those costs get passed on to...you guessed it---or go out of business. When I was there there were many a gouging reports on local TV that your governor threatened to prosecute (up here in da nort' we call it free enterprise LOL).

As far as the engines, can't speak to that. But I did buy a chinese 1000 watt mini generator for $99 from O'Reillys Auto Parts. It has been flawless with exception of a broken pull cord--but the US importer sent a new starter and engine cover WITH somew other stuff they had issues with just in case ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-29          167796

Ew;
I have a cousin and her husband who lived in Slidell when Katrina came thru, their house wasn't destroyed by water but by a tornado, nothing left only the slab. She said they felt very lucky first of all because they weren't home and secondly that their insurance covered the house because it was wind and not water. They never rebuilt there I don't know if because of the insurance going up but she did mention that. They came back to Iowa where they grew up and setteled here. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-29          167799

Sorry, I can't help with the engine question.

That carburetor has to be pretty simple. $150 seems very high unless it includes removing, reinstalling, and maybe a complete check, oil change and tuneup. Do you have the ability to rebuild it yourself? I'd guess you could buy a rebuild kit online for $25 or less. If not, you might see if you can just buy a new carburetor. A new carburetor for my Honda powered pressure washer was around $40 on eBay IIRC (not a genuine Honda but it looks the same and works better than the original ever did).

Go Top

Share This

Member Login