Go Bottom

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
bristan8
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-07-28          179579

I recently purchased a small chainsaw in Idaho for $350 while I was visiting from Australia. The dealer insisted on putting gas in the machine before purchase. I now find that even tho the tanks are now drained it is classed as a dangerous goods and would cost more than $600 dollars to ship back to Australia, Does anyone have any experience with shipping chain saws? as it looks like it is not a proposition to bring it over here as it stands. Can I fix it so that it can be shipped as normal freight?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-07-28          179581

Is it a Stihl? ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-07-28          179582

Yes ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-07-28          179583

Those dealers are trained to get any new Stihl product running before releasing it. But I can suggest two possibilities.

Stihls are easy to disassemble without tools. Remove the bar, scrunch up the chain, and ship separately as cutter components along with the manual and whatever. (They last forever, so you might want to get an extra plug, bar, sprocket, and a few extra chains -- unless they're available Down Under.)

Run the motor until dry, remove the plug (so it's inoperable), wrap in plastic in case it's sniffed for volatiles, and label the same way. What doubles the space required is the wrap-around handle. I've not removed one but it shouldn't be hard.

Or explain to the dealer the consequences of his insistance on running it, and get him to replace it with a factory-dry one. Stihl makes cases that hold everything assembled.

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-07-29          179588

Thanks for the tips, The story gets worse however. I intended to bring it home with me as my checked luggage. I drained the tanks and ran the motor dry. I removed the bar and chain and wrapped them in plastic. I purchased a Husqvarna chainsaw box which is more compact than the stihl. I removed the chain section from the box. The airport check in (two females) refused to accept the box after asking if the saw had been fueled. I had no option but to board the plane for Aus leaving the saw with a relative in Canada. We are now trying to organize something but he is busy and dismantling the chainsaw may not be possible. We are currently investigating transport by ship but that doesn't look too good either. I may follow up on your suggestion of getting a " clean" one from the dealer but I am not all that confident.
In Canada we would have to employ a dangerous goods consultant to classify the package. Bureaucracy!
What a pain
Incidentally everything is available in Aus but at more than double the price, hence my reason for purchasing in the US. A false economy as it turns out. Maybe a Stihl strategy?
Regards
Brian ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-07-29          179589

Too bad, but because of several instances of cargo-hold fires/explosions, including a fairly recent and lethal one in Florida, airlines ban any source of ignition, including volatile cumbustables. The query about it having been fueled was because at altitude, the vapour would infuse the hold.

Your Canadian contact could air-blow the tank, and get it picked up and shipped by FedEx as a never-fueled saw, or try the Post Office, but the cost (plus possible Aussi import duties) will wipe out your savings, and there will be considerable paperwork.

Besides, Stihl has a good warranty and even Stihls can fail in ititial use. Every new one sold is registered with head office by the dealer. If Stihl USA is a different corporate structure than Stihl Australia, you may be like a Canadian who buys a car in the US and can't get warranty claims paid by, say, GM Canada when it was GM USA that made the profit. On the other hand, VW honours claims regardless of where purchased vs. where claimed, so you might want to ask Stihl.

I don't know what model saw or what city it's in, but $350 (about $330 Canadian) is pretty good for a Stihl, so if you decide to have your friend sell it in Canada, I could advise further given the details. Or maybe somebody here might want it. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-07-29          179601

It is a 250 ce (easy start) Has been started but never used.Including tax I paid $370 for it. That is the list price in the US. In Oregon or Montana there is no tax so it would be cheaper. The Canadian price is $480 Ca. In Australia the retail price is $869 or around $950 US at current exchange rates. Prices are all on the respective web sites.It has a US warranty which is probably not worth anything here as it would be classed as a "grey" import. We are used to that here as it applies to most imported items. I was willing to risk it as I have other stihl equipment which is fine. It is currently located in Whistler BC and I believe there may be a problem shipping it (joke). As you can see it still may be a proposition to ship it over here as the price differential is $500 altho it is looking more likely that it will all be too hard and I will sell it over there and buy one here.
We are rather resigned to getting ripped off by overseas Companies, Garmin is another one who does it. And you should see what we pay for BMW's
Anyway, thanks for your input it is much appreciated.
Regards
Brian ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-07-30          179608

It's some relief to hear that unfair pricing is worse there than here!

That's a marvellous little saw. You don't have to strain anything to start it because pulling the cord winds a spring, and when it's wound enough the spring spins the motor. Unless somebody makes you an offer you can't refuse, I'm sure that your relative, now knowing the situation, can get it shipped. Have him try a broker. Their fee is minor, and that's what they do.

With most other saws, you just keep pulling while fiddling with the controls and it eventually starts. With yours, follow directions exactly and it will start on the first or second spin. Otherwise it won't start.

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-08-01          179620

I can understand the issue with gas fumes. But you may find that one company will ship where another will not. I would check all shippers including the postal system.
If you did, miss reading it, talk with the dealership about drop shipping an unopen saw to you and take the one back in at full price since he did this against your request. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
Murf

2011-08-02          179636

Ship it as "dry freight".

Have your friend take it to a UPS Store and ship it to you as "personal effects" and label it for customs as such.

Best of luck. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-08-02          179638

We are going to take it down to the post office and if necessary, show them it has no fuel in it. Maybe someone will use a bit of common sense. It has been empty for about a month now so I would think that any vapour should have dissipated. I have been in contact with a couple of people who ship used chainsaws in the US and they don't have a problem. I have even had an offer from one of them to ship it for me which was kind. I have also contacted the dealer but have not had a reply as yet. It is a bit awkward as I am in Aus, the saw is in British Columbia And the dealer is in Northern Idaho
The problem with vague labeling, is that I believe overseas freight goes through a scanner and a detector for chemicals. So they may pick up what is inside anyway and get a bit upset if they find something they don't like.
If I had put it in with my luggage as I had original intended it would probably be with me now. Being honest I didn't try to hide it and put it in one of those solid plastic bright orange husqvarna chainsaw boxes.I thought this would protect and also help seal off any gas fumes. This was like a flag to the dear ladies at the airport who immediately queried it and would not accept it.
We live and learn. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-08-02          179641

Have both caps taken off to let the smell dissipate. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
SCPhil
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-08-04          179655

As a 17 Year Employee with The US Postal Service, all in a Small Rural Town, I Recall Delivering Atleast 10-12 Chainsaws. I Do Not Know, and Have No Way Of Knowing Whether They Were New or Used, but I Assume I Have Delivered Both, Because Some Were From Companies, While Others Were From Individuals, I Assume EBay and Such. But I Do Know All Were Shipped In Carrying/Storage Cases. Chainsaws Are Very Recognizable, Because Of The Distinction Of The Case. Also, If Mailed/Shipped In a Secure Case, Postage Can Be Added Directly To The Case and No Box Is Needed...Again, As Long As The Holding Case Us Secure! Also, Just a Note, but The Weight Limit With Us Is 70lbs, Where UPS and Fedex Have a Much Higher Max Shipping Weight Limit. But Uf You Are Able To Find a Chainsaw Over 70 Pounds, Contact Guiness Book!! I Hope This Is Helpful For Now and For Future Use! ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-08-04          179664

SC Phil, glad you are here. As to the 70 pound chainsaw, it is the operator that needs to be in Guinness Book of records! Many years ago my Dad had a I think "Maul" brand that was a two man saw. Best I can remember the saw was about physical size of a 5 hp lawnmower engine. Had long bar with handle on the tip end and an oilier there also. But then there were some monster cypress trees being cut. Think the bow blade would cut near 3 feet. Don't think it had second handle. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
neberly

2011-09-05          180196

I was trained and certified in preparing and documenting dangerous goods for air transport. Asking him to knowingly conceal, improperly package and mislabel the package is considered a criminal offense subject to fines for each offense. In this case it would be 3 fines up to $10,000 US and possible jail time as well. Any internal combustion engine is considered dangereous goods for transport and must be packaged, marked, labeled and documented as such.
It can be done but there are hoops to jump through. You cannot empty the fuel out and vent the tank to get around the proper shipment. We air shipped internal combustion engines new from the factory and they had to be shipped as dangerous goods as well.

My guess is that some of the cost of getting chainsaws to Australia is built into the final price since it is so difficult to ship.

My certification lapsed and I don't need it now. However since the attacks on US soil I don't think shipping will ever be easy any more and it wasn't before

Sorry about the expensive lesson but such is life in this world. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
bristan8

2012-01-14          182076

Just to update this item.
I now have the saw in Aus.
It came by sea in seperate packages and correctly labeled.
I purchased a spark plug here.
It was quite dry. $135 total shipping. ....

Shipping a chain saw

View my Photos
regang

2012-07-24          184412

Hi,
I've just read through your posts.
I'm from NZ and am in the same predicament.
I've bought a brand new Stihl MS311 saw on Ebay and have found out that it's nearly impossible to bring back to NZ.

I thought because it's brand new and still in it's box that it would be fine. However, the airline say any chainsaw is considered dangerous goods.

They recon chainsaw manufacturers test each saw in the manufacturing with gas. So it's a no go unless you have the right documentation and proof that it's been purged.

So I'd be really keen to find out how to send it back to NZ. I'm flying to LA next week for four days and am hoping to be able to find a way to bring it back or send it.

I was thinking sea freight. How did you go about it and who did you use?

Cheers
Regan ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login