Go Bottom

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-21          136182

A week or so ago my wife tells me there was someone banging on my door with a vengeance. That's why I have a security system - my wife and I don't answer the door for anyone who approaches us like this. So I figure it was election BS or whatever. A week later I am playing around on my tractor and this car pulls in my driveway and a big guy walks out and approaches me on my tractor with a clipboard. I shut the tractor off - don't get down and he tells me that he has legal papers for me. I could tell this was the same guy my wife talked about.

Seems someone got in a car accident and owed someone $1500. It turns out there are two people on the street with my last name. The other guy with my name told this guy it wasn't his accident (but neglected to tell the guy he had a son with the same name). After the guy was convinced I knew nothing of the accident he left and I haven't seen him again. By the way - he did inform me he was a retiree of the sheriff's dept and was working for some extra $$.

But this kinda torqued me off. My house is my castle and I don't want any a**hole pulling into my driveway and presenting me with legal papers. I don't want election people coming onto my driveway either. (the last of which was blatantly gay.) I don't want anyone but friends, family, and tractor point members stopping by. How do you approach uninvited trespassers to your house?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-22          136201

Got a dog ? Nobody comes knocking when my boys are in the yard - especially the mastiff....its a nice feeling

otherwise put a gate at the end of the driveway, with a camera and intercom ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
dsg

2006-10-22          136207

Dogs are one way. I like telling unwanted persons that According to State Law I only have to tell them Three times to GET OFF MY PROPERTY before I can use Physical force, then I start saying GET OFF MY PROPERTY very fast about FIVE times, By then their running:))

David ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-10-22          136209

Hmmmm - dogs and phystical threats!! Ha - OK makes sense to me. I must apologize for a double post on this one. There is another identical post with ideas from Hardwood and Kwschumm with some ideas about shotguns. Thanks for the input guys! ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-22          136210

my friend has the ultimate sign at the begining of his driveway it reads as follows
private drive
beware of dog/owner
stay in your car and sound horn
he has a post office box and ups calls in advance of a delivery
He has one big AKITA and a real bad attitude if you are not in his circle!!!!! ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-10-22          136211

I've always wanted to put in a moat and drawbridge. Maybe a couple of gators (or ill-tempered sea bass) in the moat as well.

Kidding aside, my gravel driveway/parking lot gets at least 5 people making the 'full turn' (past the no tresspassing sings, making the tour of my place, etc.) vs. an easy 3-point turn near the road, where the driveway is 35' wide. I always wonder to myself when these people do this - can they read, do the not care? Someday I'll have to stop them and ask. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-22          136214

The Great Danes always seem to work. My brother in-laws dad had a couple. When they bark and run over to the car and look down at you it certainly discourages the stranger from getting out.
Another friend had a couple of Irish Wolf hounds in Hazelton. They had the same effect, just had a little meaner look. They kept the timber wolves at bay also. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-10-23          136221

There is also the other danger of having your drive so secure emergency help can not reach you if needed. You will also find some of those devices can void homeowner's insurance for that reason.

It can be amazing the number of auto that need to turn around. I don't mind one turning around in my drive (price of lighted drive in country, also I have needed to use theirs) but have seen same auto 3 or 4 times. It makes one wonder. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-10-23          136224

Although you were identified as the recipient of those papers in error and the "officer" was extremely rude it is absolutely in your interest in a law abiding society to be able to serve papers such as those. If you needed to serve papers on someone else (for whatever reason - divorce, civil claims etc) and the papers were returned marked "unable to deliver - no access at this location or BIG BAD DOG" you would be up s&*% creek, you can't have the convieniences (and responsibilities that come with it) of society in isolation. Even though it's your property certain individuals have legal and necessary obligations to enter on to it and have dialogue with you. I jotted down a list of folks who I would not want to prevent from visiting me:
Postal carrier
Electricity / utility meter reader
Any officer of the court
Any employee of a company with a utility easement on your property
Police officer
Neighbour in distress (emergency on next farm over)
Survivor of a vehicle accident on your road frontage

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-10-23          136226

I agree you don't want your castle so secure, that decent people can't come to your place.

My one brother-in-law had a couple of great danes that would drull over the side windows of a car and than jump up on the car and dent and scratch it real bad. Somebody tried to sure them for repair costs.

The danes also used to go over to the neighbor and kill their dogs and cats. That got to be a real problem. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-23          136229

Pete; I agree Danes are expensive as they don't last very long and as with any large dog difficult to train. My bother-inlaw's had kept them for years going through a number of different dogs and they were well trained. I had a large golden retriever that would not hurt a fly, but if someone was frighten and he did not know them he would stand over them until I called him off. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Ducati996

2006-10-23          136233

I just assumed everybody would assume that the suggestion of having dogs is that they would be behind fenced in areas. Free roaming dogs are never a good thing, and typically brings more problems than its worth.
However having them behind fences and the buffer between getting to your front door is the desired effect. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-10-23          136236

SIGN

NO TRESPASSING

USE OF DEADLY FORCE IS AUTHORIZED

How serious are you, your safety and your familys should be number one it is for me. If I dont know you and you do not have the deicency to call for a appoinment then I answer the door with a gun. Now that stops all questions and BS.
How do you stop them from entering the property. A gate works, a pain in the but to keep opening and closing without spending a good deal of money for an automatic gate. Dogs are a Libility. They have to be fed 365 days a year, the bigger the more expensive, cleaned up after and real guard dogs are not good pets and never safe with children. If you do not belive this read the papers. You can hire a company to wire your house and pay a monthy fee. I would like to have a system that when a unknown enity enters the area it sends a video feed to my cell phone.
This is america an we enjoy so much freedom that comming up a drive way is not against the law. I understand your problem but after a few unwanted Indivudules leave the property with a story of guns and attitude they dont come back and spread the word.

just my ideas ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-10-23          136237

AnnBrush - not to worry. An innovative server of legal papers can always find a way to get to you. I have only been actually "served" papers once. My wife was videotaping a water balloon fight at our local high school before graduation. The town police were there observing to keep it under control. Even the high school principal participated. As would be expected - someone loaded a balloon with something hard - hit a girl in the eye - ambulence came and picked her up - and a lawsuit against the town was filed. Word got out that we had a videotape. My wife objected to giving it out (we ultimately had to edit it to hide the many wet t-shirts on some of the girls - chief of police's daughter included). The server came to our door several nights and we didn't answer. Finally one night a lady all dressed up, high heels, fur coat, hair done perfectly, the works - knocks on the door. Me, the big dope, opens the door wide and up comes her hand with the LEGAL papers! The regular server is in the background laughing. Next day I ran the video down to court with my tail between my legs! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login