Go Bottom

Hedge Apples and Spiders

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-16          138064

I only have two living aunts left, one of them always was a bit on the wacko side, but at times she was right on with a few things. I visited her the other day and during our visit spiders in the basement came up. She acted like I was the dumbest man in town that I did'nt know about putting a hedge apple in the basement to keep the spiders away. As I said she sometimes is right about things. Anybody ever heard of this? Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hedge Apples and Spiders

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-16          138066

Only by googling after your post. Looks like there are some believers! Interesting . . . ....

Link:   Hedge Apple

Hedge Apples and Spiders

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-16          138070

Friends in KY claimed such. As a transplanted northerner the variation in names has confused me. I have heard Osage Orange, Bois d'arc, Bodock Tree, Horse Apple, Hedge Apple and Road Apple. We attended a Bodock festival in Pontotoc MS this year and I had no idea what it was.

I have also heard they will keep the mice away. I don't think they are poisonous so I have no idea why they would. The horses seem to like them.

Hedge Apples and Spiders

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-16          138076

Ncrunch; Sounds like Aunt Lilly was right again so maybe better pay more attentiom to her. Thanks for the Info. Frank. ....

Hedge Apples and Spiders

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-16          138089

my in-laws put them out in their home. Never understood why until last year when I heard about this. Just seemed odd to have this looking thing rotting on tin foil in several rooms. What did I know? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login