Go Bottom

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-04          140196

What's your favorite brand 22 semiautomatic rifle?

Shopping for a 22 semiautomatic rifle.
What brand do you recommend like or have?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-04          140197

I have a Ruger .22 lever action rifle. A very nice gun. I need a better scope for it though. It's a cheap $20 type scope no where close to the quality of hte rifle. The rifle holds 10 rounds in a small/simple clip. It's been a great gun for shooting at gophers. I like it but it wasn't cheap. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-05          140204

I agree with Iowafun, the Ruger 10/22 is one of the most popular semiautos sold. The 10 round rotary clip doesn't protrude below the stock (in the balance area of the gun when you want to carry it with one hand). There are also some tube feed models as well as clip styles from other manufacturers that are good. Remington, Marlin and Savage are all well built and accurate. Most have scopes mounts built in. Some don't have a front sight and are meant for scoped shooting only. The length of pull varies slightly (distance from trigger to end of butt stock) among the models. So, if you are tall or short they will fit the individual differently. Suggest going to a gun shop that carries all the brands and pull it up into shooting position and check it out for comfort. Some offer a MonteCarlo stock which allows you to rest your chin better and some have a thumb hole mounted in the stock for better grip. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
Billy

2007-03-05          140212

My vote goes to the Ruger 10/22 also. It was a present 36 years ago and shoots as good today as it did brand new. I'd be afraid to guess how many rounds have been fired through it ;-) ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-03-05          140216

DITTO,

I have a Ruger 10/22 with 4 25 round banana clips we shoot 1500 to 2000 rounds at a time. Only problem I have had is when I encounter a weak or bad round. I love the gun. It is not much good after 100 yrds but I find it on target (golfball size) at 75 yrds. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2007-03-05          140223

I have 3
ruger: 10/22 in stainless /synthetic stock- general or the one I take when I let someone use the marlin
marlin: old model 60 -squirles
springfield: westpoint model /most accurate-target ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-05          140226

Thanks everybody for all the replies.

I think I know less about buying a gun than I did about Buying a Tractor. LOL

Some Questions:
Clip or tube loading?
Lever or bolt action?

Would like one that uses long, long rifle and short cartridges.. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-03-05          140229

I think you will have to get a pump to shoot shorts. I do not know of a Auto that will shoot them. They (shorts) do not have enough power to eject the shell. I prefer clip when the clip breaks just buy another. I have a 1939 winchester pump that is tube loaded and it shoots them all. Not for sale. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-03-06          140230

I've got a 1906 tube feed Remington pump that my grandfather bought new in the early 1900s. It's in pristine shape and shoots like new. Not for sale either :) ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-03-06          140239

KW,

They dont make them like they use to. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-06          140240

With the price of .22 ammo, I'd only shoot long rifle shells. I like semi-autos for the ability of rapid fire. Otherwise bolt actions and levers are good. If you're looking for an old western style, consider a Henry lever with brass receiver. They are a little heavy in weight though. Taurus makes a pump .22 that resembles an early 1900's Remington. I think they look kinda cool. Visit them at taurususa.com ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-06          140242

The best shooting 22 I ever shot was a Winchester pump. Henry was making a copy of it. I have a tube feed Winchester auto that has been good for me. The auto has only shot long rifles, have no idea on longs or shorts. Don't think shorts would work in it. You have not mentioned it but assume you are shooting right handed. I don't, for that reason do not like most of the auto 22's even the one I have. Depending on where you are shooting, I like guns that eject down. Shame is where I live shooint such is dangerous. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-08          140311

I've about decided on the Ruger 10/22 : but which one of these?

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=39&variation=10/22®%20Rimfire&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

Here are 9 different models.
OK -> Everybody which one of them would you pick and why?

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/326L.jpg

Now If they would just throw these in on the deal.

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
unit5alive

2007-03-09          140314

springfield 87a because it will shoot short/long/long rifle
but only LR in auto mode , also I like the Marlin mod.60 for a fun gun and a $100 bill is a good price too , Craig. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-09          140320

You have choices of:
1. stocks: wood, laminate or black synthetic.
2. bull or regular barrel
3. stainless or blued
4. with or without adjustable rear sight and one that glows in the dark or not.

It is all preferences. Some people really get into the beautiful grains of wood and like the laminate striping. Black is also cool.

Stainless is good if you live in a damp area and are not good about cleaning readily. Likewise if you hunt or shoot in the rain or take it in and out of a warm house and out it cold weather it condensates and can rust. Stainless is not as hard of a material and if you really shoot allot you can get barrel wear. I doubt if that will happen. Stainless reflects light in the sun and may spoke game.

If you plan to use a scope, rear sights are not required. If you use open sights and shoot at dawn or dusk HiVz sights are nice.

Bull barrels are good for very precise shooting where you will shoot fairly often in a row such that thermal growth doesn't cause the bullet to shift. A bull barrel weighs more and is heavier to carry in the field. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-09          140322

You have choices of:
1. stocks: wood, laminate or black synthetic.
2. bull or regular barrel
3. stainless or blued
4. with or without adjustable rear sight and one that glows in the dark or not.
1*Don't matter to me - I don't think but not 100% sure.
2*Reg barrel
3* prefer stainless
4* figure open sights and scope. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-09          140323

You may be able to purchase a scope mounting ring that is slightly higher with an opening so you can see through it allowing for a combination of scope and open sight shooting.

My personal taste is stainless with black synthetic. Bushnell, Leupold and Nikon make stainless scopes if you wish to carry the stainless color look throughout. If you go with a black stock, a black scope would also look nice. If you go with a wood or laminate stock, I go with a stainless scope. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-09          140324

I think I'm getting it narrowed down, but I still have some questions.
1/What's the difference between the bull and no bull barrels?
2/ How much accuracy is lost going from an 18.5'' barrel to a 16 & 1/8th.'' barrel?
3/What's the difference between a rifle and a carbine? ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-09          140327

A bull barrel is a larger diameter for the full length. A regular barrel is slightly tapered on the O.D. getting smaller at the tip. The bull's larger size is to give better more accurate performance and is supposed to be less likely to flex from heat after you shoot several rounds or a clip through it in a row. In my opinion, unless you are into competition shooting or desire to shoot holes in a dime at 50-100 yards it is not necessary. The gun will weigh another pound or two more. I think it would be more realistic for use on more long range ammo setups like on a .223 or .22-250.

A carbine has a slightly shorter barrel for easy of carry. As a beginner, either of the guns will be more accurate than you are. When going to the nth degree of sophistication, a longer barrel will give you slightly better performance (usually an increase in velocity and energy but will be minimal in that short of a distance variation) and because of the length that you are aiming through with open sights, better results can be achieved. There is a limit to the gains. In your situation, either model is going to be fine.

Some combinations of bull barrel and longer length make it heavy at the front and doesn't balance well. I would suggest going to a gun shop that has several models to chose from and pulling them up to your shoulder and peek through the sights to determine if it feels good. Some guns feel awkward by just a few inches in barrel length, etc.

The extra muzzle weight also helps to keep the tip down for faster target acquisition between rapid fire shots. Not that much recoil from a .22 but we are talking very minor differences. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-09          140339

yooperpete :
Thanks for your answers. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
bvance

2007-03-10          140349

All good advice here...but one more thought: If you decide to scope the rifle make sure you get a good quality scope and not a ".22 rifle scope". Many manufactures make what they call .22 rifle scope or rim fire scope, but in my opinion they are not worth the bother. A scope built for a center fire rifle is much more accurate and durable. I would go with a straight 4 power for a .22.

You can get a decent rifle scope for less than $100 that would work fine, or of course you can spend $300.00 for one, but I don't think the cost would be justified for a .22.

Enjoy the plinking. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-10          140350

I think this Ruger K10/22RB will probably be my final choice.
I want to thank everyone.
You have all been most helpful.

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-12          140401

PS & Update

I had a little trouble finding this gun.
Wouldn't Ya know Ruger would discontinue the rifle I want.
I finally tracked one down after calling Ruger and their Distributor and a local Dealer.

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-04-09          141197

My cousin had a real nice new Remington bolt action single shot 22 rifle and a 22 pistol back in the 50s.
~~~~~~~~
I was talking to him on the phone this morning and asked him if he still had these guns.
He said yes and told me his dad got the rifle for him when he was 10 years old ; that was 56 years ago he also told me he got the 22 pistol about a year later and he still has the daisy BB gun he had before he got the 22s.

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-04-09          141198

YEP it was ! ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-10          141208

I never was much of a hunter, too lazy i guess, but I do hzve a couple old "22's". I've got my Dad's single shot and a bolt action tube feed that a neighbor gave for helping him do something for a day when I was a kid. I have no clue what brand they are, but they still knock off a groundhog or a skunk now and then. When I was in high school one of the neighbor boys, (rich kid), had a real neat lever action 22, again I have no idea what brand it was, but it did have a shorter barrel than mine do. I've always wanted one ever since, but just never got one. Sounds like the Ruger ten shot is a favorite amoung most of you. Do they still make that model? Roughly how much does a new one cost? Where is the best place to buy one? Thanks. Frank. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
harvey

2007-04-10          141213

Frank the 10/22's sell for $170 now and you can get them on sale many times for $140 or so.

I'll take the bolt action 22 anyday for pest control. Most will drive tacks at 40 yds all day. The semi-autos are fun plinking cans, and shooting rats in the land fills. Too bad all the little town dumps have gone away. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-04-10          141214

The ruger 10/22 will not shoot 22 shorts. The auto will not eject them. I have found that 22 longs are less expensive than shorts anyway. Stay away from the black 22 longs they leave resdue on your hands as well as the gun. I prefer the 22 mini mags (not cheap) good rounds that always fire. They burn clean and are consistent on the 40 to 60 yrd range. Dont by a 22 scope, buy a scope that will focus on the target. Rule of thumb zero the gun at 25 yrds and it should be good for the 60 yrd range.
I shoot mine all the time you can get a 25 round clip for the gun. They are the best and most fun if not you will spend all your time loading that 10 round clip.

Have fun and be careful gun safety is no joke.

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-10          141217

harvey, "shooting rats in the land fills"

Had forgotten that fun. I used a single shot around corn barn, had to be fast and accurate. kt ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-10          141223

Thanks guys, correct me if I'm wrong on the model #, but I'm assuming the Ruger K10/22RB is rhe model I'm going shopping for. Sounds like a good job for a too hot to work summer afternoon. Frank. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
harvey

2007-04-11          141228

Frank

There are several good semi-autos the 10/22 is a good one. Remington has a newer one out that is under $200 also and it is a very reliable shooter. There are also lots of pump actions that shoot great and have quick follow up shots. Unless you are looking for an investment buy the cheapest model they have. IMHO the cheap ones will preform just as good as the more expensive models for plinking and vermin, off hand. The main difference in factory stuff is cosmetics.

If you go into the custom built, custom triggers, fitted bolts, bull barrels, bedded and floated you are talking a whole different ball game.

Becareful about large magazines many states have assault weapon bans (a semi auto) and large magazine bans, there are pre-ban exceptions. It's a Felony in NY and some other states to possess a large magazine, not preban. In PA they can not use a semi-auto rifle which includes the 10/22 for hunting.

Not my intent to muddy the water, but with the liberals trying everything they can to make a honorable citizen a criminal you can not be to careful.

Harvey ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-11          141238

Harvey; No, I'm not into guns enough to really know the difference between a collector grade gun and a lower dollar one. I've already got enough "Investment" type tools, etc. in the shop that the kids likely will sell for ten cents on tne dollar soon as I bite the big one. As I said earlier I was always a bit jealous of the "rich kid" neighbor who had that neat litle lever action 22 when we were in high school. One of our cowboy heros on TV back in the 50's could shoot the gun out of the hand of the bad guy at 300 yards on a galloping horse with one of them. From a distance it looked a good deal like the Daisy BB gun I still have, maybe that is my "investment grade" gun. So which eveer you think is my best bang for the buck on the low dollar end is wht I'll buy. Keep the snow shovel handy. Oh, by the way the "rich Kid" is ten times richer now, but I'm no longer jealous of him, I got over that foolishness long time ago. Frank. ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
harvey

2007-04-11          141241

Frank I know about "Gun Envy", I see lots of $5000+ very accurate off the bench and the other ones see what I have but I do not shoot it cause it worth more unfired. My targets are usually much tighter. So they have ability envy and spend more in hopes of better groups. Time and practice make the shooter more than the price of the gun.

I'm looking at a .44mag level action rifle. Always wanted a lever action same reason you stated.

Your old Daisy is probably worth a small mint. The Red Riders are very much collector items today.

Big gun show in Syracuse April 21-22. I'm also looking for a 50cal BMG bolt action rifle.

If you want we can continue this via e-mail. There is another guy or two that use this site that is fairly compentent about firearms.

Harvey ....

22 RIFLE

View my Photos
Billy

2007-04-12          141270

An old man told me once that most guns are capable of out shooting the shooter. You just had to figure em out. ;) ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login