Go Bottom

Kubota ZD 28 60 vs 72 mower

View my Photos
feeneyj
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-18          102505

I am thinking of buying a Kubota zero turn ZD 28, but am not sure whether to go for the 60 inch mower deck or the 72 inch. The latter would have the advantage of greater acre per hour productivity and the deck would extend farther out beyond the frame of the tractor to facilitate mowing under trees, etc. But I have heard that the 72 inch deck is much more likely to scalp uneven ground (and I have plenty of that). Moreover, I don't get to mow as often as I should, so the grass (and weeds) get long and maybe the 60 inch mower would better handle that situation. In any event, I'd really welcome the views of the pros both on the mower size issue and any opinions on the ZD 28.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-05          103561

I cant tell you anything about that machine but i can tell you that your better of with the 60". I have thought this over many times as I own 7 zero turn riders & my company cuts a serious amount of grass per week in the mowing season. The 60" will handle longer grass better & produce a better cut. It will definitly scalp less & you will have less blade to sharpen on a routine basis. I have heard lots of great feed back from local landscapers around here about the kubota diesel ZTR's! the rant & rave about it. My problem is I am all about matching fleet & I run exmark mowers & have been for about 10 years & just cant imagine an odd ball orange machine on the trailer with the red ones. This may sound a little ridiculous to you but I am very perticular about image. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-05          103598

Did I see an eighteen wheeler with ten new Kubota Z's on it? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-05          103601

For residential use, I would suggest the 60" mower unless you have an unusually large amount of turf to cut. The 60" will cut better and make trimming much easier as well as manuevering in close quarters. If you want to cut up under trees and have optimum trimming ability, consider a front mower ZTR like Deere's F687. ....

View my Photos
Redman

2005-05-18          111222

I've had a ZD28-72 for a year now and would not trade it for anything. No scalping problems so far and it will cut deep grass. Just be sure to get the heavy duty mower deck. You will like it no matter which size deck.

Redman ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-05-18          111249

Redman - do you have a bagging device for it? Just curious, I have several of those aluminum baggers made by Acelerator which fit exmark & scag but someone told me they wont fit kubota ztr's. I have been thinking strongly about purchasing a kubota ztr these days but need to have the ability to bag the clippings on some properties. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-05-19          111270

I always reccommend the largest deck possible as this should cut your mower time as well as lengthen the mowers life. ....

View my Photos
Redman

2005-05-19          111272

I do not have a bagger, my 4 acre yard would really pile up the clippings. My only complaint is that I wish the ZD28 had a front suspension. It's too rough riding to mow my horse pasture. I know others have suspensions, but not sure how well they dampen the bumps.

Redman ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-05-19          111276

I demoed a Ferris ZTR with front suspension for a week last year & although it helps, it didnt make as much of a difference as I was hoping it would. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-05-20          111281

I'm not familiar with either model. If they have a large tire cross-section, running a real low tire pressure may help. Most mower manufacturers will say you are driving to fast! Most of the Z turn mowers I've seen have solid hard rubber tires which makes the front end rock solid. ....

View my Photos
Redman

2005-05-20          111286

Not the ZD28. It has large inflated tires front and back. My experience is that horses mess up a pasture far more than other animals. Their hooves really create holes when the ground is wet, and it dries hard and pocketed. Overall, the mower is great.

Redman ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-05-21          111315

Grassgod, I have a customer that we demo'd a Kubota and a 5000 Ferris to that decided that other then the lawn he had he wanted to keep abut 15 acres of old pasture as well as hay field mowed. He wound up buying the Kubota 28-72 after about a three hour demo of both machines. Conditions were hilly to say the least and definitly irregular as there was still some tractor ruts in the hay field from wet years. The wider tires on the Kubota is what I attributed the differences that he found for the ride while the cut was tough to tell as who was the best. Both machines were for the most part full speed ahead except for around the house trimming. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-05-21          111320

Very interesting. The kubota's price tag is much higher though. Around here, Ferris is by far the least expensive ZTR mower on the market. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login