Go Bottom

Spindle repair Landpride FD2572

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-03          115875

The spindle threads for the blade retaining bolt took a hit 10 days ago and the threads in the spindle are stripped out.

The spindle assembly is in on the work bench and I have tried every conciveable way, that I know, to get the spindle apart. The pulley assembly will not come off unless, as it appears, I destroy it in the process. All fastners are loose penetrating oil on it for over a week now and have tried heat (however not aggressively). It looks like rust and a tight fit holding it.

I would like not to destroy it. Spindle $58 whole new assembly $190. I have a new assembly. Of course it is the wrong assembly and the pulley is the wrong size, too big. I would like to swap the pulleys rather than wait till Tuesday to order correct part and wait another week for delivery.

Does the botton spindle/blade hub press on? Or is it threaded? If threaded L or R.

TIA Harvey

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-03          115879

Harvey,

Are you using PB Blaster or Croil as a penetrating oil to loosen the threads? Another technique to try is to put the spindle assembly in the deep freeze overnight and then try applying heat to the outside of the spindle while attempting to dislodge the seized fastener. I don't have a picture of what you are working with so that may not be practical. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-03          115881

Have you tried vibration with a blunt air chisel? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-09-03          115890

The main problem is the rivited pulley welded onto a hub that is pushed onto the spindle. It is really too light duty to put much pressure on it w/o bending.

It is apart now. Need a new pully in addition to the original problem spindle. Will return the complete assembly since I'll have to wait for the pully anyway.

The bottom threads are RH. It took 2 3' pipe wrenches to break that loose. I had a lot of pressure on the pully since I'd already bent it and hit it with some heat and it popped loose.

The lawn will survive another week with out mowing. Besides I'd rather cut wood now.

Thanks for the thoughts. Harvey ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login