Go Bottom

3pt vs belly mowers

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-30          43140

I have a Buhler 3 pt mower and previously I had a Land Pride 3 pt mower. I have never had a mid mount mower except on a lawntractor. My current mower is also made for sale on Bulhers zero turn mowers. The other day I was mowing and I can swing around the trees in my yard to leave about 6" to a foot of uncut area around each small tree.
With the HST I can easily back the mower under low lying limbs. I bought this mower a year and a half ago for 1K.
My question is having never had a MMM on my larger tractor what is the advantage? Can you cut closer to the trees? I could not with my 20 hp garden tractor. Do you get less scalping? I would think this would be a function of deck width.

Link:   Bulher

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3pt vs belly mowers

View my Photos
TC33
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-01          43149

If you do a search in the history you will find some good discussions about this exact topic. ....

3pt vs belly mowers

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-01          43175

I have been in on some of the discussions but I see a lot of people pushing the MMM. I can not see the logic of spending 1K or more on a mower that is dedicated to one tractor. I would rather spend the money in HST. ....

3pt vs belly mowers

View my Photos
hickmo

2002-10-01          43181

I have a rfm for my Bx2200. I was going to get a mmm, but the extra money was spent on DIESEL FUEL. I have a Befco 60" rear discharge. And it is great. The rear discharge uses less HP. But it will mimmic a bush hog if the grass gets too tall. But it does scatter the clippings fairly well. ....

3pt vs belly mowers

View my Photos
BrentB

2002-10-01          43185

The biggest advantage I see of the mid mount mower is that you can very accurately steer along the edge of a building,fence, or other stuff. You don't have to crane
your neck looking behind you. It also gives a shorter tractor package which is more maneuverable.

The deere mmm hangs from the tractor, so you get a long wheelbase to take out uneven ground. I think Kubota's decks
run wheels on the which must also work just fine.

Like you said, the mmm is more expensive, is a pain to remove, and is in the way sometimes. I wrestled a long time
on which way to go, and still don't know if I made the right
choice or not since I've never tryed a rear mower. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login