Go Bottom

Finish mower choice

View my Photos
SteveTX
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-29          52159

HELP!! I need some advice from you experts. I am purchasing my first finish mower. I have about 3 acres to mow. Ground is fairly level. I have been mowing with a rider. Time to get the 8N earning its keep. Here's my choices:

King Kutter - $1000 (side discharge only)
Servis Rhino - $1260 (side or rear discharge)

Any suggestions will be most appreciated!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Finish mower choice

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-30          52173

Others can comments on the merits of pull, mounted, semi-mounted, 2, 4 or tail-wheel types and fixed or flexible top-links since I don't have a mover.

I'll comment on 8N's, which I also don't have and you undoubtedly know more about than I. The 8's don't have standard CAT I pin sizes, so a mower that uses 3ph mounts would have to be adapted. I think the ways of doing it are common but a mower with replaceable lower pins might be easier. The over-running clutch issue discussed here applies to the 8's. External clutches are available and fairly inexpensive but one might affect the length of pto shaft needed. I don't know if the lower link arms on an 8 float laterally (one arm can come up independent of the other) but that issue might affect the choice of mowers.

I'll face the same problem when our riding mower gives up the ghost. We do about 2 acres total finish mowing. We aren't too particular about the finish so I'll probably look at light-duty rotary cutters that do a good enough job on the lawns and allow some brush cutting as well. My wife would just as soon I didn't think about cutting brush, or the wild flowers in the lawns for that matter.

Finish mower choice

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-03-30          52194

I have a 71 inch sitrex for my 790, rear discharge is the way to go . I have solid tires for real level ground however if you have rough terain I suggest air filled tires so the mower will not hop at high speed. ....

Finish mower choice

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-30          52206

For the with of the tractor you need something wider than a 5'. I saw someone yesterday mowing with a 72" behind a small Ford.
It depends on the placement of the wheels to some extend but I find the air filled tire swivel better on the grass and dig less. The solid last a long time but are extremely costly to replace. You can use the air filled an fill with foam for a lot less than the solids. ....

Finish mower choice

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-31          52242

Rhino will be a far better mower. If you want one that is as good a Rhino and cheaper, see this link for Sitrex. ....

Link:   link

Finish mower choice

View my Photos
firesmith

2003-03-31          52300

I have a Mott flail mower that I would make you a good deal on. It is seven foot and has been used on an 8N for a minimal number of hours. I replaced all the knives a few years back, but they could use sharpening. I am in Michigan; drop me an email if you have interest. ....

Finish mower choice

View my Photos
harvey

2003-04-01          52319

SteveTX My first thought with a 9N is ground speed. 1st at PTO is quit fast as I recall. I've seen flail type finish mowers which worked ok and the 3ph finish mower (rmm). The 3ph at 72" did not quite cut it (no pun) when using once a week because of how fast the grass grows here in the spring. If you are mowing at 3-4" you may be ok and have to take a smaller bite in deep grass. My landpride has hi-lift blades and it requires a slow ground speed to work really good. But I do mow at warp speed when in a time crunch. My preference is a side chute with deflector removed. I can also bolt a plate ove the chute to mulch. The arms on the mower float so that mower rides fairly even. I've spent lots of time in West TX not much grass there but Houston has lots :-) enjoy. Harvey ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login