Go Bottom

Finish Mower Help

View my Photos
rrfowle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-10          52932

I run a JD 755 (hydrostatic). Last season, I came across a Landpride FDR2560 (rear discharge) that I couldn't pass by. The mower provides a great cut on level ground, but really takes the PTO rpm down running on small inclines. I have to keep the throttle pretty much maxed out. The weight of the FDR is 610 lbs.

Do rear discharge mowers require more Hp to operate or do the Landpride mowers need more Hp? I've seen other discussions where people are running 5' mowers with smaller tractors. Or do I have a bigger problem I don't know of?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Finish Mower Help

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-04-10          52951

rr, You certainly don't have an excess of power with a 755/hydro, but I would think it could handle a 60" RFM.. For whatever reason, rear discharge mowers do take more power than side. There could be other factors too, like gearbox ratio. The ratio might be high to get good tip speed for a nice finish cut. Can your tractor pick the mower up easily? I know the 790 would be marginal for #600 any distance from the links. I would try and go over the same area twice and see if there is any difference. If it handles it better second time, you might need to cut more frequently. Hope this helps
Pacesetter ....

Finish Mower Help

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-11          52955

Morning rr. It's really tuff to figure out what may or may not be going on. There are threads about pulleys, belts, bearings, air temp, ground speed, bad fuel, etc...

My thoughts are: you may be a little short on HP, BUT it is dooable. I ran a 72" LP rear finish on a 1500 4wd 19HP ford for years. I had to run fairly slow especially on the one embankment. I only mow weekly and grass could get way ahead of me. So I do understand.

I would not cut closer than 2-2.5 inches (a shorter cut will really eat the HP), make sure the blades are kept sharp. Be patient. I always think about the manual alternative.

My yard took well over 6 hours on my old JD 112 and a 48" deck. I went to just over 3hours with the Ford. With the JD4400 I am down to 2-2.5 hours. Of course the original belt lasted 6 years with the Ford and 15 minutes on the JD. Now I do a belt or 2 a season.

Have fun take your time and remember the old push mower...

Harvey ....

Finish Mower Help

View my Photos
rrfowle

2003-04-11          52964

My thanks to harvey and pacesetter for your thoughts. The tractor seems to pick up the mower fine but I also keep the FEL on most of the time. I've done the usual checks on the system binding, but don't seem to find anything. For interest, I was just checking the Deere home website where they line-up the compact tractors with the attachments available and they are showing an equivalent Hp tractor (the 4100 series) operating up to a 72 inch finish mower. What's up with that?

It has to be something in the gear ratios of the Landpride to achieve high tip speeds (just over 18,000ft/m). I wonder what JD specs for their mowers tip speeds at?

Finish Mower Help

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-11          52971

The last two season I had a 955 with a 60" mower, rear discharge. With the extra HP I did not have much trouble with the deck and hills but found you needed to be at PTO speed to keep the blade tip speeds up as you entered the hill side. It takes a bit to get the engine rpm to adjust as you add the load of going up the hill. I slowed down at the bottom and then accellerated as I climbed the hill.
I also found that the added weight of the 70A was no help and got in the habbit of removing it before mowing and only replacing it when needed. ....

Finish Mower Help

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-04-11          52978

Generally Hydros have less PTO HP than their straight gear drive counterparts. Front end loaders eat up HP from having to carry weight of loader up hill also, if 4wd is engaged, you have less available hp still. ....

Finish Mower Help

View my Photos
rrfowle

2003-07-17          59685

To all respondents:

Thanks for your assistance. I recently found a used 60" JD belly mower for my compact. With a little TLC, I brought it back to life and I couldn't be happier with the results. Better fuel consumption, no overheating, taller grass cutting, faster ground speed and on and on and on....

The belly mower slung under the tractor has lowered by center of gravity to the point where I can mow safely on other areas of the property I could not before. To say that I'm satisfied in an understatement. I've already given the rear finish mower to my father-in-law who has a bigger tractor to run it.....

thanks for all the input.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login