Go Bottom

3pt belly mower

View my Photos
Jim Blackwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-13          53095

I have a Yanmar F17D (~21hp) and need to get a belly mower for it. It does not have a mid pto and I do not know if one can be had for it or not. However, I have seen an ad for the Thoroughbred line of mowers which attach to the 3 point hitch and rear pto. I have 3 concerns: They are expensive, I wonder how well they would survive a tree strike, and I don't know whether I could use a 6' mower with this tractor or should stick with the 5' one. I'd like to find a competing but less expensive mower of this type. It's about halfway down the page on this link: http://www.ssbtractor.com/page1.html

Jim

Link:   Thoroughbred mower

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3pt belly mower

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-14          53110

In general, a tractor w/o a mid-pto isn't going to have a mid-mount mower. There are rear to front pto conversion kits that are expensive and even the wouldn't work very well if at all. The rpm and direction of rotation might be wrong for any MMM that would fit on the tractor.

I couldn't tell from the pics in the link if the mowers are any different from any other 3ph mower. I think I'd just go to a dealer and see what they end up trying to sell you. I figure it's my dealer's buz to keep track of what's available and they can do a better job coming up with something that'll fit my tractor, do the job and fit my budget than I can. Or, at least it doesn't take as long and there's free coffee.

3pt belly mower

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-14          53133

Well you have done better than I have interms of finding a mid unit for the rear PTO. You will only be able to use a 5 ft with the available HP. You need to look at the PTO HP.
The price for a MMM is not too bad, most MMM are in the 2-2.5K range. A good rear 5 ft finish mower is 1-2 K.
With the unit show I would be worried about removal and installation and scalping of the lawn. There appears to be no outer wheels. ....

3pt belly mower

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-14          53138

Tom, aren't the mid PTOs running at different speeds from the rear. I don't have a mid PTO on my tractor, but I thought that they worked at about 1000 RPMs. Do the conversion kits make up for that or do they put new pulleys on the MMM?

I have used rear mowers before, and I think that you definitely need the guage wheels. I also like being able to back the mower under low hanging bushes. But you have to be careful on turns. ....

3pt belly mower

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-15          53153

I took another look at the ad and noticed that I hadn't seen the mower mentioned. I was looking at the pic above it and couldn't figure how it differed from a plain-old 3ph mower. That was because it didn't differ.

What I see in the pic looks like a gearbox with mounts for lower link arms and a long arm that likely runs forward between the rear wheels to a mower deck. The unit apparently is driven by a conventional pto shaft. The arm would contain a drive shaft. The deck apparently rides on gauge wheels and I couldn't see any mounts on the deck for raising or leveling it. If the whole thing depends on the 3ph for raising and leveling, I wonder how well it works?

I can't get the picture of how it works unless there's a u-joint in the arm near the deck. If the arm were solid, the deck would pivot on the lower link pins and the angle of the deck would change a lot as the tractor went over bumps--same as a 3ph type. Even a narrow deck may be given to scalping and skipping. However, at least the deck would be starting up a hill at about the same time as the tractor.

If there's a u-joint in the arm it seems like it would be equivalent to a pull type drawbar mower and I wonder what the advantage might be. There might be a lot of disadvantage because a wide deck on the end of a long arm seems structurally suspect with or without a u-joint unless there were lateral supports on the tractor undercarriage. I'm probably missing something but I'm not sure that the unit provides the advantages of a true MMM.

AC: The conversions would use gears because you'd want to reverse the pto shaft direction in as short of radius as possible. With gears, it'd be easy enough to get a 540 pto speed to 1000 or other rpm. It might be a bit cumbersome to end up with the right direction of rotation though. The only place I encountered one is when looking for a front-mount snow blower. The dealer said there are conversions but they run over 1000 $CDN and I didn't ask further.

3pt belly mower

View my Photos
Kiohio

2003-04-15          53160

These can be had used alot of times. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login