Go Bottom

Changing Oil in John Deere 72 quot MMM Gearbox

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-06          54404

Has anyone done this yet? I have a John Deere 72" mmm on my 4410 and noticed the gearbox runs a little hot. Not so hot that you can't touch it but more than I like. I checked the oil level and it is good (runs out when I remove the plug). I was considering changing the oil to Amsoil 75W-90 gear lube (I have had very good results with this lube in lower temps on my truck rear axle while towing) in the next 10 hours but this requires removing the mower from the tractor as well as removing the gearbox from the mower. What PITA! I use a suction pump to change the oil on my Sea Ray and was thinking I could do this as well on the gearbox while installed on the mower and tractor. Any of you tried this method? Any tricks to employ? I hate to remove the mower from this tractor since it is alot of work to relevel it. I am not sure that locktite on the clevis mounts will hold the adjustments after removal. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Changing Oil in John Deere 72 quot MMM Gearbox

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-03          56542

Just in case anyone was interested I changed out the oil in my MMM gearbox with a Pella Suction Oil Changer that I use on my boat engine. It worked like a charm. I pulled out 12 onces of the original oil and replaced it with Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90. Sure beat removing the mower and gearbox! Makes it easy to replace the oil alot more frequently. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login