Go Bottom

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
Justin Hart
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-12          54735

I have a 48" Challenger finish mower that is making an extremely loud whine. The original owner said it's been that way since '84, but this noise can't be normal! Any ideas on where to begin looking?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-12          54737

Justin, without knowing under what circumstances the sound is produced, or where it is coming from (underneath, gearbox, driveshaft) it is impossible to make an educated guess.

Whining noises are however usually bearings, have a real good look at every bearing you can get to, you are looking for bearings that; are dry, rusty, loose or stiff in particular.

Best of luck. ....

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-05-12          54740

I agree usually a bearing, probably in a blade quill/spindle or gearbox. Have you greased it, grease one thing at a time use it a bit and see if the noise goes away or changes.

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-12          54743

Subsequent to my intial comment I did a little reading over a few of the manuals I have for various implements. In doing so I came across an interesting comment in the "Assembly" chapter of one of them, one for a very big, old nasty rotary mower, it states that "... the gearbox should be filled with 3 pounds of quality grease and should NEVER be filled with hypoid gear oil." It goes on to state, in the "Troubleshooting" section that "... if a loud whining or moaning noise develops in the gearbox it should be verified that the gearbox contains the proper amount of quality grease." The manual for my PHD states much the same thing.

Apparently some gearboxes which are exposed to heavy, constant loads are supposed to run grease instead of oil, presumably because of the heat generated in operation.

I guess the old adage holds true, "When all else fails, read the instructions."

Best of luck.

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
jwhart

2003-05-15          54917

Removed the spindles & housings; bearings had a slight "roar". Any ideas on how to push the spindles out of the housing to get to the bearings?

The idler pulley sheaves are riveted together and create a sealed bearing. Putting a vacuum on one side will allow oiling, but thin oil isn't ideal. Any experience with these?

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-15          54921

You should not have to remove any shafts in order to grease the bearings. This type of setup almost always has 'sealed' bearings, that is they have a rubber seal to keep dirt, dust & debris out, and grease in, the bearing. Any auto parts supply house (or even any decent hardware store) will have a small needle attachment which has a grease nipple like end, or threads, on one end and a very small sharp point like a hypodermic needle at the other end. You poke the sharp end through the rubber gasket and hook it up to your grease gun so that you can get grease(not oil) to the bearings themselves.

If they are already making noise it might be that they have been run dry long enough that they are now worn (or are wearing) out, grease will certainly help.

IMHO, grease the heck out of everything that will take grease, and run the unit again, if it still makes noise but is significantly less, and you can live with that, do so.

Best of luck. ....

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
jwhart

2003-05-15          54930

Murf-The idler pulleys have sealed brgs and I'll try your needle idea.

Replacing the worn brgs in the blade spindle housing is the bigger issue. These are tapered wheel brgs (2 per spindle)that have to be replaced, but I can't get the spindle pushed out to gain access.- Thanks ....

Challenger Noise

View my Photos
Al Zucha

2003-09-10          63516

i too have that whinning noise in challenger 5'. did you get your's fixed? if so how?

Go Top

Share This

Member Login