Go Bottom

Belly Mower or Pull Behind Finishing Mower Choice

View my Photos
dmnsmith2
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-04          56562

I will be getting a new Kubota 7800 soon and would like some opinions on the type of finishing mower to get, belly or pull behind. Pros/Cons.

I will be using the tractor to mostly mow (will have fel). I've got a good price quote on a belly mower and also would like to know a good price on a pull behind. Thanks in advance!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-04          56581

I prefer the mid mount. Getting older takes a toll on the neck looking back at the mower. The three points are easier to install and don't hinder the ground clearance as much but I still prefer for trimming to have the deck below or out front. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-04          56628

Most people like the MMM better if they don't have to take them off or put them on often. It just depends on your tractor usage and tractor type. MMMs take less getting used to when driving close to trees and such, but rear mounts can be backed under low hanging branches and so forth.

I have used both and if you won't be using your FEL in tight situations where the MMM might hinder your movement over rough terrain or in narrow places, go for it. My tractor does not have a mid-PTO, so I would go for a rear mount in my case. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56632

I've had both. The rear 3 pt. finish mower is easier to remove and install but I got tired of constantly having to look behind me and crane my neck around. Also made the tractor more difficult to maneuver in tight spots. The MMM is alot easier to trim closer with and makes a more compact package which is easier to maneuver in tight spots as well as adds weight at a VERY low CG position. Matter of personal choice. ....

View my Photos
melensdad
Posts: 90 Northwest Indiana, near Lowell and 8 miles from Beecher, Illinois

2003-07-10          59279

How much work, and what type of work will you do with the FEL? If you are moving simple things, keeping the tractor out of the rough stuff, then you can leave the MMM on while you work the FEL. BUT . . . IF you are doing some "real" work with the FEL you will probably be in places where you will destroy the MMM or be forced to remove it, and that is a pain. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59289

Depends on the model and make of mmm. My John Deere 72" mmm comes off in less than 5 minutes and can be done in as little as 3 minutes if you want to prove something. I just take my time. Going back on takes a little longer but is not bad. ....

View my Photos
Jelliott

2003-07-11          59347

I've used both. My opinion is that the MMM is far more conveninent to mow with, and far less convinent to install or remove. I have a B7800 with 72" MMM, I believe I could hang with Chief & remove the mower in 3 - 5 minutes, but installing it ususlly takes a little longer, and is somewhat of a pain.
You will also need a level, paved surface on which to install your MMM. I made the mistake of taking mine off in the pasture one time, and it took me dam near an hour to get it hooked back up, this would not be an issue with a 3ph mower.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-11          59352

I definitely second the smooth flat surface when removing and installing; otherwise there is gonna be LOTS of cussing involved. I use a long rock prying bar to align pins and links. ....

View my Photos
tracer

2003-07-13          59445

Greetings
I have a King Kuutter pull behind side discharge 5 ft mower that I am very pleased to have purchased from CT Tractor for 1000.
I do not like having to look back all the time but its just like Bush Hogging. Compared to a Belly mount that would have required a Center PTO and cost more I am very pleased with the Pull Behind. It cuts beautifuly and is tough as nails. I went with the 5 ft instead of the 7ft mower for manuverability between my trees.
Good luck in your quest.
Tracer ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-13          59446

After years of using a 5 ft 3pt on a tractor I returned to a garden tractor as I am looking for a new CUT. I did not sell my 3pt. Personally I could cut closer with the 3pt using the swing to cut around the trees. I would back it under trees etc. Apart from cutting near trees I never spent much time looking back nor do I with the bushhog. Like plowing I set up on the row and look forward. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login