Go Bottom

V belt tension gauge

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-27          64973

Does anyone know where I can find an inexpensive V belt tension gauge? I need it to adjust the belt on my Land Pride mower. Needs to be adjusted to 7-10 lbs at 1/4" deflection.

Thanks
Billy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

V belt tension gauge

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-27          64993

Getting a little tecnical aren't we! Try a fish scale. ....

V belt tension gauge

View my Photos
Billy

2003-09-27          64997

LOL...you could say that Art but at 40 bucks a pop, I'm gonna try to get all the life I can out of this belt.

Fish scale is a good idea, thanks ....

V belt tension gauge

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-27          65000

Forty bucks? For one belt? I'd get it right too. ....

V belt tension gauge

View my Photos
harvey

2003-09-28          65001

Billy You can do it with out a tension guide. That said: Tension is important but not as important as how you mow.

Have you ever mowed with the belt shields removed? If not remove them and mow. Watch what happens to the belt when you are mowing slow and not working the mower. Change ground speed faster and start working the belt and then you will see how the damage to the belt gets done the belt really has to pull hard and you'll see that at the turn in the belt after the drive pulley.

I've told this before: My belt on my 72" landpride lasted 6 years with my little 20hp ford. It lasted 15 minutes in heavy wet grass with new 35hp JD. I am on my second year of mowing with this belt.

I still squeal the belt now and then. So I have had a couple of cheap belts I have tried if I'm gonna abuse it mowing heavy stuff.

A B158 (genaric #) works on my LandPride 72" side discharge. I think they are $19.00. You will not get the life out of these that you get from the LP belt.

I have had our rock crusher belt suppliers get me a really tuff belt, one of the best in the crusher industry, it did not last one mowing. It is not designed for the reverse turns. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login