Go Bottom

rear discharge mower damage backing up

View my Photos
snogless
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-27          81342

In some posts from last year, I saw a post about possible damage from backing up with a rear discharge 3pt finish mower. This has long been my preferred way to get into tight spaces with my ATV with rear mount (side discharge) mower. As I am about to purchase a CUT and a 3 pt finish mower, I would like to know if anyone has any updates on the subject. If I have to change to a side mount, I can. I just liked the idea of the rear discharge. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-27          81344

I back up with mine all the time. At friend of mine was having open heart surgery and I mowed his place a couple of times. I backed it into a tree root one day at his place and bent one of the skirts underneath. I had to straighten it before proceeding. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-27          81352

You also need to have good and tight sway chains as you can have the mower touch the tire. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-03-28          81374

I do all of my pine trees by backing under. I have a old sickle bar mower that works also. I use that for the road banks and ditches. But the majority of trimming under low stuff is with mower by backing.

Let me add: Generally I try and keep the deck adjusted level and hold some of the weight up on the tractor. This seems to help the 4 tires pivot easier with less twisting of the tire. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login