Go Bottom

Help selecting rotary vs rear finish mower

View my Photos
Thumper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-07          85453

I need a little help with a "now-and-later" question regarding finish vs rotary mowers. The situation as it stands: 30 hp tractor (24 PTO) with about 3.5 acres of horse pasture to mow in the mid-Atlantic. The wif' likes to keep it looking somewhat neat and level, knocking-off anything over 3.5" every so often. This pasture is gentle rolling, devoid of rocks, trees, brush and obstacles (other than the occasional horse ;-) and "lawn-smooth" except for the "divits" caused by hoofs. We will continue to use our 62" zero-turn commercial mower for the yard and "close-cutting" around the fence lines (I'm hooked on those darn ZTRs!).

Down the road in a couple of years we will be moving to a small place in Montana (have a trailer for equipment transport). The situation there is 18 acres of pastureland to mow but how much mowing is there with only 13" of rainfall a year? It's currently tilled farmland; smooth, very gentle rolling, no rocks, no brush or trees and no obstacles. There will only be one or two horses on this pastureland and I will continue to use a ZTR for the yard around the house and fence-line trimming.

I was looking at a 6' rotary verses a quality 6' rear discharge finish mower. Obviously it could take quite awhile to do 18 acres with a 6 footer but maybe with low grass yields and no obstacles, etc. I could keep the ground speed up somewhat to make it more manageable. I'd prefer to buy quality once & keep it maintained verses buying something for the situation now, selling & buying again out there.

Any and all advice will be appriciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Thump

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login