Go Bottom

What is the best HP for Finsh Mower Widths

View my Photos
hamilton71801
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-16          88716

I had a b2400 kubota 18hp pto and used a 60 inch finish mower-it worked great and would NOT bog down.

I just traded for a b7510 kubota with 16hp pto. This tractor will bog down to the point of almost dying if I go through high grass. Does 2hp really make that much difference?

I thought that something was wrong with the gearbox on the mower because I hooked up the bush hog and went through some serious stuff and the tractor did'nt even flinch. You can grab hold of the blades of the finish mower and turn and the drive shaft turns with not much effort, but if you try to turn the drive shaft by hand, it is almost impossible.

Does anyone think that the mower is the blame, or the tractor just under powered?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-17          88721

Hamilton; I'm asuming you kept the original mower deck for the new tractor, and I'm also asuming that the deck is a mid mount. The loss of two HP would make some diffence but I would'nt think it to be that drastic. Being you're on a different tractor is the deck running out of level like nose down or tail down or is the drive system identical to run the blades at the same RPM as the other tractor? I really don't have an absolute answer, but just throwing out possibilitys. Hope some of the other members can help you more. Frank. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-17          88723

Hamilton; I guess I did'nt address the second part of your question. If your spindles are all free to turn by hand it still takes some effort ot turn the gearbox shaft due to pulling tight belts around pulleys etc.. To be sure of your gearbox take the drive belt to the spindles off and try turning the gearbox by hand with no belts attached. It should'nt take much effort to turn it by hand, while you're doing it also check your shafts for bearing play, end play, etc. Most gearboxes come apart rather easily, so if you're in doubt have a look inside before expensive things start happening. Best of luck, Frank. ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-17          88727

A running brush hog will store a lot more angular momentum than the finish mower because of the size and weight of the blade. This will certainly help it through the thick stuff without lugging the tractor. I wouldn't think the 2 hp difference would cause much difference in the ability of the tractor to run the finish mower. A 60" mower is certainly not too big for the 7510, although you are at the upper end of what you should be running. Checking the gearbox is cetainly important, a simple thing that needs to be checked is the condition of the blades. Are you sure the blades are sharp and balanced? This will make a big difference in the performance of the mower in the thick stuff. Also make sure there is no build-up under the deck.

Good Luck ....

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-06-17          88741

I am about to buy a B7510. One of the things I plan on using it for is to brushhog -- mostly tall grass. I don't have any suggestions to fix your problem but am intersted in the power of the tractor. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-17          88742

Way back in the archives I remember a happy B2400 owner stating that his rule of thumb for excellent Finish mower performance with a mmm was that you needed about 5 gross HP for each foot of Finish mower width.

Just curious why did you trade the B2400 the deluxe Kubota for the B7510 the supposed economy version according to Kubota? ....

View my Photos
hamilton71801

2004-06-19          88892

My dealer is really helping me with this. When I traded he told me that it was comparible to my b2400, that is why I bought it. I went in to just buy a loader and bigger tires and he talked my into the 7510 - new tractor with everything I wanted, and comparible in hp. I have been in contact with him and he has sent his mechanics out twice and they noticed it bogging down, so they took it in and could'nt find anything wrong. He sent out a brand new 5ft bushog brand finish mower to try and bogged the tractor,and I went over what I had already mowed the first time. He said that on Monday he will personally pick it up again and try it out himself and if I am not happy, he will make me happy by giving me all I paid and upgrading to a b7610. I have already put 15 hrs. on it and I thought this was very generous of him. Right now I am scared not to trade up considering all that I have been through. Any suggestions? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-19          88893

Torque does the real work. I'd be interested to know what the torque rating is of your old B2400 vs. the 7510 and 7610 at pto speed. The hp could be 10% less but the torque difference could be greater than that. ....

View my Photos
hamilton71801

2004-06-19          88909

I never thought about torque. I don't know the numbers but I would guess the 2400 has a lot more. I looked at your pics and was wondering how bad you tore up your tractor. That must have been pretty scary. I also have a quick hitch but it does'nt have the 2" reciever on it. I am going to try to put one on mine. I saved your pics to have something to go off of. ....

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2004-06-19          88923

look hard at the b7800 it's 30 hp and not much more or the 2710/2910 at 27 and 30 hp with more features like my favorite the TELESCOPIC LOWER-LINK END makes it much easyer to hook up equipment. these tractors also have three ranges instead of two. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-20          88946

hamilton, believe it or not there wasn't a scratch on me or the tractor. The worst thing that happened was a battery cap came off and dumped acid. I flushed it clean and replaced the battery and all is well. Could have been a whole lot worse. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-08-04          92676

Hamilton71801

Wondering if you ever solved this problem, or changed to a B7610 or B2400?

And did that solve the bogging problem when finish mowing? ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-04          92729

The telescopic "Lower Links" are not standard equipment on the 7800. You need to go with the 2910 to have them as standard equipment. They can be added to the 7800, but not sure what the cost would be new. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-06          92848

Ken, brought up a good point about the torque as we are playing close with the numbers here but I would think that the larger tractor is the way to go as the 7610 is rated the same as the 2400. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-06          92851

If the horsepower ratings are at about the same RPMs, the torque difference will be the same ratio as the horsepower difference. If you have 10% more horsepower at the same RPMs, you have 10% more torque. The RPMs the two engines are rated at is the only variable. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login