Jack shaft
and a twin size bed?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Can you guess

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-20          102577

The flying saucer that crashed at Roswell? ....

Can you guess

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-12-20          102579

The flying saucer that crashed at Roswell?
hardwood
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nope not quite cause if we would have built it, it wouldn't have crashed lol!
Needless to say my cousin & I were the envy of all the other kids in the neighborhood.
50 years ago they all wanted us to take them for a ride on what just might have been the first go cart ever.

I wish I would have kept it.
Today it would have been a unique one of a kind keepsake and a really great conversion piece.
=================
This was 10 to 15 years before the commercial go carts like you see at Tractor Supply, Kmart etc. came on the Sean.

The steering apparatus on these modern go carts is still well behind that of the go cart we built over 50 years ago.

Can you guess

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-20          102587

Sounds like a skit from the Red Green show! He builds some wild stuff, way ahead of it's time. ....

Can you guess

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-12-26          102935

Well, lets look at this logically.... washing machine - what kind? wringer or new fangled automatic? Could give us a better idea there...
lawn mower here we go again... reel type or rotary, power or push... could play a big part in my guess!
1934 Plymouth - 2 door or 4 door?
bicycle - mens or womens? ten speed? 3 speed? coaster brakes?
mine bolts - our your bolts?
pipe the type you smoke or just plain old steel stuuff?
Jack shaft - or jill shaft??
and a twin size bed? which part? frame, mattress or springs?
The devil is in the details!! Help me here!!
nuvz
=======================

(Keep in mind this was 50 years or so ago.)

1*washing machine - automatic?
We used two of the gears that made the agitator go back and forth. This was used to construct the steering mechanics. Un like most automative steering that was made up of a steering gear box tie rods and other linkage we were basically able to use one set up which did the job of a steering gear box and the linkage all in one arrangement. We didn't need tie rods and all that linkage as all that was required was a short connector to each front wheel.
We also used one of the pulleys that rotated the washer drum on one end of the speed reduction jack shaft.

2*lawn mower here we go again... ?
Motorized reel mower. These were used before the rotary mower was invented. Anyone remember them?
We used the engine for our power plant.

3*1934 Plymouth - 2 door or 4 door?
Don't know doesn't matter anyway because all we used was the steering wheel.

4*bicycle - mens or womens? Could have been either.
All we used was the small rear wheel sprocket to put on the other end of the speed reduction jack shaft. we welded the larger pedal crank sprocket to the inside of the left rear wheel. and used a section of the bicycle chain to connect the two sprockets

5*mine bolts - our your bolts?
The kind they use to support coal mine ceilings to help prevent cave in ins.
We lived about a block from the factory that was one of if not the largest supplier of these bolts to the mining industry. They would buy square stock and turn it down to make the bolts.
We bought 2 pieces of 1" in stock from them and my uncle who was a machinist turned them down on the ends to make the axles.

6*pipe the type you smoke or just plain old steel stuff?
Probably 3/4" STEEL.
We used pipe for several things. One thing we used it for was the combination motor mount clutch.

7*Jack shaft - or jill shaft??
Actually the type used to increase or decrease speed depending on which one is your goal.
You might say this became our one speed no reverse transmission.

8*and a twin size bed? Which part? frame, mattress or springs?
Frame we used it for the chassis, under carriage or what ever you want to call it.
=====
About the only thing we had to buy that wasn't some part off of some old junked thing was the 4 new store bought wheels.

Guess we didn't have any kind of old junk around that had any wheels on it.

Needless to say my cousin & I were the envy of all the other kids in the neighborhood.
50 years ago they all wanted us to take them for a ride on what just might have been the first go cart ever or at least the most unique one ever built.

I wish I would have kept it.
Today it would have been a unique one of a kind keepsake and a really great conversion piece.
L.B.

Kubota BX23 with FEL BH & 60" MMM. Del. 9-4-4

Go Top

Share This

Member Login