Go Bottom

Plumbing vent stack leak snow

View my Photos
sprobst
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-03          103355

How many roofing experts do we have?

I have a plumbing vent stack that has a plastic/rubber ready-made
flashing/boot that is in good condition. It seems to be installed correctly (the flashing is above the shingles on the downward slope and below the shingles on the upward slope).

However, I get a leak only when snow melts. Rain is no problem.

I suspect snow/ice is damming at the vent and accumulating upward and below the shingles. The shingles above the stack do not completely cover the flashing above the vent. They stop about 2 inches above the stack.

HOw should I fix this problem? Should I use adhesive to seal the shingles to the flashing? Should I reshingle above the stack so that the shingles completely cover the flashing above the stack? This is difficult to describe. I'll try to post a picture.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-03          103360

Do you have a real shallow pitch on the roof? What kind of leak situation do you have? I have a problem with mine but the dripping and leak that comes down the vent stack is from condensation. The cure for that would be to insulate around the vent in the attic. I only get moisture in real cold weather, so it is not snow. Could you be having the same problem? ....

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-04          103412

The flat part of the stack boot that lays on the roof should be covered with shingles. If you can see the edge of the flange that lays flat on the roof that is where it is probably leaking.
If you end up strippng some shingles to repair, I would
1 Get a new stack boot(aluminum. not plastic.
2 strip shingles back 2 or 3 courses around stack, install
new boot,install ice and water shield right up to the hole in the boot. put the bottom on first then a piece above the stack down over the piece below the stack. then reshingle

View my Photos
grinder

2005-01-04          103413

yooperpete.
I have a stack inside my attic. It was new a couple of years back. It has a ball type valve that opens when needed.
Works great, no smell, no leaks.
Another possibility, Are you getting snow accumulation in you stack?
I have seen this many times and then increased daytime use melts it.
Try going up higher for better flow, or possible T on top.
Merely a suggestion. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login