Go Bottom

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
tsjr54
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-22          112645

I am looking into sealing my asphalt driveway 20'x 270'
and would like to do it myself. I've been looking on the internet for sealants. With not much luck or should I be looking locally. Lowes or Home Depot? Or
If I have a contractor do it what should I watch for?
I live just east of Houston Tx....Hot & Humid..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-03          114316

You can do it yourself, but it is hot work.

The sealer will prevent water infiltration into the asphalt. This is generally done to keep the asphalt from breaking when trapped water freezes, which I suspect is not much of a problem near Houston. It will make your asphalt look better.

Things to look out for.
Fill the cracks with crack sealer or tar first. The brush on sealer will not seal cracks!
Put the driveway sealer on according to the directions with a brush (broom), squeegee, or roller. I think that the roller is easist.
Most new sealers are water based, so do not put it on if rain is in the forcast for 24 hours.
If you get a contractor, get a local guy. Some of the traveling contractors don't use good materials or methods. ....

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-03          114324

I have always wondered about this: Why do we seal driveways when I have never seen a highway department doing it? Sure they seal carcks with the rubberized compound but they never seem to put down the huge coat of black "paint". What's the difference? ....

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
harvey

2005-08-04          114344

Towns and counties have been doing it for years. It's called oil and stone. They also use micro pavement and slurry seals. Many state roads are on these programs. The shoulders on I81 thru NY are seal treated in most areas.

The problem is curing time and the ability to get friction materials in the mix.

Public would never stand for the road to shut down like a driveway and after the first rain wreckers would be very busy. ....

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
grinder

2005-08-08          114515

You may want to investigate the difference between asphalt
base (oil) sealer and the latex base at the do it your selfer' stores.
I used the oil base which soaks in to the surface and keeps the asphalt from drying out and cracking. The latex is a barrier sealer which lays on top.
Try sealmaster on google.
Good luck!! ....

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-08-08          114519

I am very happy with Agway Premium Sealer (their best brand). I don't like the spray on coats that the local guys use on my neighbor's driveways. It seems very thin and doesn't fill cracks. I do the job myself with the Agway stuff. It costs more and takes more effort but does a reasonable job of filling cracks. I do have one crack this year that I think will require special attention.

On another related subject. My wife has always wanted to edge the driveway to make it look neater. I think it causes soil to erode from under the edge of the driveway and causes heaving from ice during the winter. I have discontinued edging the driveay and live with the weeds and grass hanging over the edge of the driveway. Does anyone have thoughts or dealt with this problem? ....

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-08          114520

In this area driveways are always laid with the last 2-3" tapered down into the ground.

In such a case it forms a permanent gap next to the asphalt, merely running the mower along the edge of the driveway cuts everything neatly.

Even without that, a single pass with a string trimmer on a slight angle to the asphalt every now & then tends to clear everything back quite well too.

Best of luck. ....

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-08-08          114522

Thanks Murf, my driveway was laid flush to the ground which I guess creates the problem. In fact I just bought myself a new echo string trimmer which should make it easier for me to trim around the edge. These new rapid loader string trimmers are easy to use and light. I got carried away the other day string trimming and cleaned up lots of stuff because it was so easy to carry around. I think I got lots of dust in my lungs because the next day I was having difficulty on the treadmill . Next time I will use a mask.

Asphalt sealer

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-08          114523

As with most things, it is technique more than what you are actually doing that makes the biggest difference.

Try two things next time you use the trimmer. First keep you and the cutter positioned such that everything being cut is being fired away from you. Secondly, again, keep your position in mind, and UPWIND of the work area.

String trimmers do not CUT the stuff, they shred small small sections of it. They actually throw a pretty good cloud of debris, and even if you don't typically have allergies you would likely have a reaction to such an overwhelming dose of airborne plant material.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login