Go Bottom

pull roofing nails out of rolled roofing without tearing

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-11          148101

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help >
How do I pull roofing nails out of rolled roofing without tearing it up so I can lift it up and slide flashing up under it?
Need tips ideas and suggestions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-11          148102

Lbrown59,

I posted three links to the tool you'll need, but they don't seem to show up here.

Try searching the internet for a tool called a "cat's paw".

If that doesn't help you, search for a tool called a "Cooper Group 56" nail puller.

It's a handy tool.

Joel ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-11          148103

You don't say where the nails are--like along the seam or overlap. I've used a flat pry bar slid underneath. It has a groove in it that would help center it around the nail shank. You may be able to pry the nail along with the roofing or, if you hit with a hammer--sher the nail head off, but it depends on if the nail is rusted an what type of wood it's in. You may not have any choice that to carefully rip the roofing around the nail head then go back and seal under the area and renail.

I've removed metal siding from barns for repairs and used Vicegrips to grab the head and twist them out. The heads will almost always bend but the Vicegrips will make that easy to pull'em out.

Can you access the nails from underneath? Maybe tap them out far enough to pull them out with a claw hammer???
If all else fails, carefully cut a small square around the nail head, leave it there, then seal around the area and renail on either side of the hole. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-12          148122

You may need to grind the end thinner on the flat bar EW is suggesting. You may need to use a very high quality putty knife driven in under the nail first to begin the process and move up in tool thickness.

Was shown some roofing materials by a paint store and they have a totally clear sealant that does no dry out and does not change the roofs color. Would suggest it to cover over the old nail holes. kt ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-12          148124

If you can get an end nipper under the head to clip the head off then drive the nail down into the sheathing ??? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-12          148134

we do it a little differently, get in the attic and tap all the nails up. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-11-12          148142

we do it a little differently, get in the attic and tap all the nails up. ;)
Murf
2007-11-12
That wont work in this case no attic and the nails go into the rafters not between them. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-12          148144

Oh well, in that case, get on the roof with a 4" angle grinder and a fresh wheel.

The heads of the roofing nails aren't very thick, and if you hold the wheel perpendicular to the roof in just a second the grinder will eat the steel of the head away where it meets the shank and the head will just fall off.

Then all you have to do is tap the shanks down flush with the rafters afterwards.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-12          148146

Lbrown59,

See Ebay Item Number 220143573344

This tool has a sliding handle, which serves as a hammer. Place the gripping teeth over the head of the nail, then slam the handle down, driving the gripper teeth under the nail head.

The tool has a built-in leverage bar, so that you can easily remove the nail. As soon as you begin moving the handle to the side, the teeth close and grip the shaft of the nail, just below the head.

This tool will easily remove any roofing nail, without doing much if any damage to the roofing.

Joel ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-11-14          148233

Thanks everyone for your tips.
Got er done.
Used a putty knife to gain a little head room then tapped a cats claw under it and pried the nails right up and out with the cats claw. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login